Saturday, April 4, 2009

4/4/09

Grinding gears before I even start moving... that's the way to start a day. Looks like the good old clutch brake gave up the ghost. My clutch had been feeling a little weird for the last couple of days but it was working fine. Now the clutch feels normal and it still works fine, but the brake is no more. Damn. I'm heading home pretty soon, so I think we're just gonna have to make do until then. I can leave it with those peckerheads at the Kenworth dealer in Dearborn while I take some time off.

My drop/hook was the usual routine down in Palatka, so that part of the day was okay, aside from the rather unpleasant grinding whenever I had to change from forward to reverse. Then I-95... whatever dude. I think an accident in Boston can cause a traffic jam in Miami on that damn road. The whole of Georgia was stop and go. I hopped off at Exit 5 in South Carolina and ran US-321 up through the middle of the state. That wasn't a bad ride at all. It was a two-lane most of the way but there weren't any red lights. Since my delivery appointment is Monday evening and not Monday morning, I decided to stop and call it a night once I got past Columbia. I was actually relieved to see that I wouldn't have to do the full 1,000 miles by tomorrow night. An easy day here and there is nice to have when I've been running pretty hard for a while.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that this load is only 8,000 pounds. Usually the loads out of that paper mill are wicked heavy. I have some mountain climbing to do tomorrow, so I'm sure that my truck will be rather grateful for the lighter payload as well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a battle with the Carthagenians to conclude on my most recent foray into good old Civilization III.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.