Thursday, March 12, 2009

3/12/09

Where did all the people in Illinois go? It's getting to the point now that I would be surprised to encounter traffic in the Chicago area. Another nice easy drive down I-294 and across I-80 today. Weird.

I am not a big fan of I-65 in Kentucky and Tennessee, so I took US-41 down through Indiana and then caught the Pennyrile Parkway down to I-24. Much easier ride into Nashville that way. There was some sleet up in the hills but it had turned to rain once I got down to the truck stop. About an hour or two before I got to my relay point, I received another pre-planned load. That's always a good sign. The relay was quick and painless and then I had time for the old shower/shave/haircut routine before leaving the Pilot and heading to my next pickup. After I came back out to my truck the rain had stopped. Beauty.

Ahh yes, my next pickup. Freaking ConWay in Nashville. Freaking 4:30am departure. Freaking relay at the freaking T/A in Troutville, Virginia. That hair that I shaved off wasn't blue just yet, but if I keep starting my days this early... you just never know.

I'm out here to make a buck though, so I can't complain too much. Once I make the relay I'll be at 2,146 miles for the week with a shot to get something decent for the weekend. I know I've pulled loads out of Virginia on the weekend before. Maybe I can catch one of those nice light QVC loads going from Suffolk to Texas. A boy can dream, right?

While I was at the Pilot today, I had to call and confirm the ConWay assignment. One of those dumb little things that they make us do. While I was on the phone, I got to take a little survey. What sort of repairs would I be able to make if I had the parts and instructions, that kind of stuff. I was also "strongly encouraged" to open myself up to Canada runs and hazmat, since I was limiting the miles available to me by not doing do. If I "chose" to take Canada loads, I would need a passport or FAST card by June 1st and the wait is around thirty days for a card once the process is started. Anyone else suspect that my "option" to take Canada runs will become a requirement by the end of April, so that I'll have my FAST card by June? I won't be surprised. I didn't think it made any sense when they gave us the chance to opt out in the first place. I'm surprised they've let us go this long. Whatever dude. As long as I have the choice, my choice is not to sit at that damn Pilot in Tilbury waiting for a fax so I can come back into the states. Once the choice is no longer mine, I'll do what I have to do.

2 comments:

  1. The Canada loads work for me. My wife lives north of Toronto so that's where I hide out when it comes time to get out of the truck for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had a problem going up there until they started that dumbass fax routine. I had a couple of 14-hour clocks wrecked by that nonsense and then didn't hesitate to opt out when I got the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.