Thursday, December 4, 2008

12/4/08






All day, staring at the ceiling, makin'
Friends with shadows on my wall
All night, hearing voices telling me
That I should get some sleep because
Tomorrow might be good
For somethin'






One of those days. I got started early and made my drive to the consignee. No big news along the way, just a lot more hilly terrain. I arrived and checked in with the forklift guy. He proceeded with an obscenity-laced spiel about how they were getting too much paper and the machines were all loaded and yada yada yada. As if I give a damn. Once a dock opened up, I backed in and waited. It only took an hour or so to get empty once I was at the dock. Given the dude's attitude, I was expecting to wait longer.

It was around 2pm so I headed to the local truck stop to see if I could find somewhere to park. The place was listed as having a small parking area, but at that time of day I was pretty optimistic. The next closest option would be another twenty miles away. When I pulled into the lot I found two empty spaces. Excellent. Those two spaces were empty for a reason. Bogus. They were difficult to access, given the arrangement of the lot. I had to spin back toward the fuel island and then make a really sharp blindside turn back into my spot. After I got out to look four or five times, an old dude stood at the back of my trailer and helped me finish up the job. Good lookin' out, my brother. (We won't discuss the guy who showed up after me and made parking in the spot next to mine look easy.)

I was #2 on the board so I expected a little bit of time to pass before I got some work. Yeah, some time passed. In fact, it's still passing. I'm up to #1 now, but my 14 hour clock doesn't have a whole lot left to offer. Looks like Wilson, North Carolina will probably be home for the night. The paycheck terror threat level has been upgraded to orange. I need something pretty good for the weekend or I'll definitely fall below $900 for the week.

I don't want to end my post on a sour note though, so I'll share this happy news with you. I found a way to make my limp look less pitiful. I just bank my cap to the side and let my pants sag. I'm a gangsta! Hey, ridiculous is much better than pitiful in my little world.

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel better my Canucks lost to your wings 6 to 5. My daughter is though

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you ignored my expert advice and chose not to become a Wings fan? C'est la vie, as your countrymen back east would say. I just hope your daughter can forgive you when she's older.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.