Tuesday, December 2, 2008

12/2/08

I'm contemplating a lawsuit for false advertising. I saw this banner ad saying that I should click if I need a girlfriend. I don't really need a girlfriend, but seriously, look...




Who wouldn't click, right? Yeah well, the girls on that site don't look like her. Not even close. And the ones who are halfway decent looking don't seem to have much interest in washed-up guys who drive trucks for a living and straddle the line between reason and madness. I think it's a classic bait and switch move. I should start interviewing lawyers the next time I have a chance. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

Anyhow, impending legal battles aside... I got up bright and early to finish off my run from the weekend. My drop/hook on the back end was nice and quick, then I was on my way. On my way to where exactly? By golly, we didn't have an answer to that question. I had no place to park at the consignee. The truck stop where I spent last night was 30 miles away and not likely to be near my next destination. What to do, what to do? Driving up to I-64 seemed like the best solution. I could go east (toward Lexington) and park at a rest area. Or I could go west (toward Louisville) and park at the Flying J. We pick up more freight in the Louisville area, so I went west. Around three hours after I parked, I got my next assignment. Picking up in Lexington, of course.

Since I was much further from Lexington than I had been when I made my drop this morning, I had to haul ass to make my pickup time. I got there though, and the order was a quick one. They put five big plastic containers on my trailer and sent me on my way. There was a second pickup in Georgetown, maybe fifteen miles from the first stop. Those guys put another 23 of the plastic containers on. The only catch was that they still had to empty #'s 22 and 23. That took a while. Eventually they got everything loaded and I stood up to go get my paperwork...

Mayday! Mayday! Man down! I was blessed with more things in this life than I could ever hope to count. I was not blessed with strong ankles. My left ankle is the one that I broke a few years ago during a baseball game. That one feels fine right now. The other one... not so much. I had been sitting so long that my right leg had somehow gone completely numb. I was not aware of this when I stood up. I didn't feel my foot hit the ground when I took my first step. I did, however, feel the pain shoot up my entire right side when my ankle rolled over. Sonofabitch. The ligaments in that ankle are like the elastic in a sock that you've had for far too long. They've been torn and stretched and pretty much destroyed repeatedly throughout my life. So, like that old elastic, they just don't offer much support anymore. My foot came down wrong and that was all she wrote. And now I have a nasty purple ankle to keep me company for a little while.

At least I would be able to set the cruise... haha, I was just about to say... oh nevermind. Of course I couldn't set the cruise today! I got to go through Cincinnati at rush hour. Lots of just downright lovely pedal action between the accelerator and the brake. Just what my ankle needed. I was able to get up to Seville, Ohio tonight before my 14 hour clock ran out. I only covered 410 miles in total today, but the (dumbass) rules are the (dumbass) rules.

Between the 55mph speed limit in Ohio and that traffic jam in Cincinnati, my 8:30am delivery appointment isn't doing me any favors. I should have plenty of time for a ten hour break here and then the last 40 or 50 miles of driving. You just never know what kind of bullshit you'll run into at that time of day in a major city. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The week isn't off to a racing start for me, but once my extra $35 in stop pay for this run is tacked on I'll be over $170 today. One good one after I get empty and then something long for the weekend will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.