Friday, October 24, 2008

10/24/08

Well, 465 miles today ain't a bad start to this trip. I came down along US-11 to I-81 to I-90 to I-271 and then decided that I had gone far enough. The rest area just before I-71 had a spot for me, so I took it as a sign from above... or something.

I did have a bit of a change of pace this morning as I dropped down toward Syracuse. The cops were inspecting people at a rest area just south of Watertown. Nothing major really. They took my log book and license and came back a little while later with a piece of paper saying that I had no violations. Then I told the guy, "Look here flatfoot. Don't be giving me a hard time, hey. Just talk to Smitty downtown about me. All the coppers know the Fenian Godfather, see." Actually, no, I didn't say that. That's what I would have said if I were in a 1920's gangster film though. I really said, "Fuck tha police comin' straight from the underground. Young nigga got it bad cuz I'm brown, and not the other color so police think, they have the authority to kill a minority." Oh man, I did it again. Sorry. I didn't say that either. That's what I would have said if I were in a 1990's gangster rap song though. Today I just said "thanks" and went back to work. I know. I'm so freaking conventional.

I was actually impressed by how friendly the trooper was. Let's see... a cop in Colorado once kicked me out of an illegal parking space. He was super nice about it and suggested a nearby street where I could park legally. A cop in Michigan once pulled me over for an inspection. He was super nice and let me off with a warning about an illegal wheelbase. A cop in Georgia once pulled me over for a burned out headlight. He was super nice and let me go with a warning. A cop in New Mexico... actually that guy was a cocksucker. Nevermind him. A cop in Tennessee once saw me speeding toward a construction zone and flashed his disco lights to warn me to slow down, instead of pulling me over. A cop in the Bronx once caught me in the left lane and, when I thought he was pulling me over, he just yelled at me over the PA and sped off. The guy today thanked me for my time and wished me a safe trip after he finished doing his job. I guess I have to draw one of two conclusions. Either the local cops back home all just had issues that caused them to be assholes when I was growing up... or I just deserved it. Yeah, don't answer that one.

Now this week's miles have all been dispatched and the smoke has all cleared. What do we have? 2,799 miles plus a little over $60 in northeast pay. Another paycheck around $1,130 or something like that. Steady as she goes. This is probably not the best time to go home. Usually it works best to ride out the good times and go home when things slow down. Alas, I have some pretty fun plans coming up so I'll have to deal with it.

Looks like tomorrow night should find me in a cozy motel somewhere in Illinois or Missouri, depending on how late I sleep. Bring on the football. To whet your appetite, bwahahahaha... Ty...

5 comments:

  1. I'm bettin the cops that messed with you when you were younger..were just smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, hit the wrong button, I'm not anonymous, I'm Theresa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I lean toward a combination of the two elements. I'm no angel, but there was something wrong with those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yah, definetely not an angel. Not even close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yah, definetely not an angel. Not even close. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.