Thursday, July 10, 2008

7/10/08

Ahhh yes, sleeping at a ConWay yard. This just seems to be something that I cannot do. After tossing and turning all night, I think I may have possibly fallen asleep for a couple of hours before the alarm kicked me out of bed. My trailer was loaded and ready to go at 4:30am, and thus began my day.

It was a nice 19,000 pounder, which is pretty light for a ConWay run. I-70/I-76/I-81/I-78... I really don't remember any significant traffic along the way, other than a few little construction zones. Newark is Newark, but that's a whole other deal when it comes to traffic.

I took my time at the ConWay yard making my drop/hook after sending in my forms. I was hoping to get another plan summary while I was there, so that I would have an idea about which direction to go when I left the yard. On every previous trip to that facility, I've been pre-assigned to pick up a load from a shipper in Meshoppen, Pennsylvania. This time around though, I had no pre-plan so I was a little bit out of luck vis-a-vis parking. After sudying my options about as thoroughly as someone like me can study his options, I headed south on the turnpike to the first service plaza. It was the usual scenario here - one spot left and I took it.

When I got on the board this afternoon, I was #1. After eating some dinner and taking a nice long nap, I'm still #1. I've had eight hours of down time, so I can extend my 14 hour clock to include the two hours that I have yet to drive. Then, by the time I sit through those two hours, I will have had a ten hour break and we'll be ready for whatever comes up next. This is the fedspeak way of saying that I shouldn't have to come off the board tonight and that I expect to get something quickly tomorrow morning. Sitting presently at 1,367 miles plus around $45 in northeast pay, I could use a couple of average runs by this weekend and all will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.