Tuesday, February 12, 2008

2/12/08

Laredo Board

Look at that. Don't say anything. Just look. I've never been so relieved to be #41 at anything in my life. On my first baseball team, I was #41 as a tribute to Darrell Evans, but that was a long time ago. Ahhh...

I sat at the dealership all morning, being ignored by those motherless fucks. Sometime this afternoon my fleet manager called and said he was working on getting me a truck. A little after 2pm, he and a few other folks made it happen. My truck is now black, as opposed to red. It has a couple names on the doors, neither of which belongs to me. It has a small crack in the windshield. It has a bunch of switches and gauges that were changed slightly from the older model of T-600, just to annoy me. And it's all mine. Beauty.

It took the bulk of the afternoon to get everything moved over. It's astonishing just how much shit one can accumulate in a year and a half on the road. And I don't even carry much on the truck, compared to most people I meet. Anyhow, it's all moved. Hopefully they're not switching me into a new truck any time soon. This one only has 250,000 miles on it. Give the new ones to people who need the ego boost. I'm fine right here. (Moving sucks!)

The paperwork is done. I'm on the board. And Laredo, at some point in the next day or so, will be in my rearview mirror.

When I talked to my fleet manager, it sounded like I would need to take that old truck back to the dealer and drop it off today, then hitch a ride back here with someone. When I did the check out/check in with the CTL mechanics though, they said they would take it back tomorrow. Beauty. It's probably best that I not go back to that place, now that I have no vested interest in being polite to them. I have a bit of a smart mouth sometimes, or so I'm told. Instead, I'm going to chow on some more Mexican food, confident that my (new to me) truck will make it back here without stalling.

I don't know who you are, Veronica and Juan, but thank you from the bottom of my heart. Whatever caused you to quit your jobs, I hope it wasn't too bad. You just made my day.

2 comments:

  1. So, who will you be posing as? Veronica or Juan? You look like a Veronica to me. ;)

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, after going through Texas and Oklahoma with a 65mph truck, I'm not feeling too manly. I guess Veronica it is.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.