Wednesday, February 13, 2008

2/13/08

Even as lazy as I am, it was nice to finally get out and work for a change. I was #17 when I woke up, and it was a few hours later that I got a load headed for Illinois.

I covered a little over 600 miles today, but it was mostly a feeling-out process with my new ride. The suspension seems a little better. I didn't get pounded as badly by the bumps, but I think there is a tradeoff in terms of a slight understeer compared to the older model. The pedals are different. The change in the way the pedals feel under my foot, combined with the overall quieter sound, left me running the RPMs a little higher than normal for quite a while. I think I'm getting used to that. The new Qualcomm thing is pretty cool I guess. It started reading the directions to me when my fuel recommendations came through. Apparently I was supposed to leave the terminal and go to the Federated States of Micronesia. I have no idea where that is, so I just used my own directions. The climate control is a hundred times better on this truck. On my old truck, I had 'wicked hot' or 'wicked cold' so I spent most days flipping between the two choices. It had the red and blue adjustment knob thing, but anything above the absolute cold setting made it completely hot. This one actually gives me the in-between range. Oh yeah, and it goes 65mph. Fun.

Anyhow, I have to be at the customer by Friday morning. The dispatcher in Laredo said it's a 24 hour place, so I'm going to try and get there tomorrow night. That should get me at the top of the board when the planners get to work Friday. I have some serious ground to make up after the last week, so I'm hoping for a good weekend. I don't know if they still have me highlighted for Joplin, but I hope not. I will need to get my inverter re-installed and have the windshield fixed, but until I get a few more dollars in the bank I can live without those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.