Friday, January 4, 2008

1/4/08

Upon first glance, I'd say today was a damn good day, but I try to be as objective as possible. Let's take a look.

1/3/08 "That usually means that I can find somewhere to park, even if it's not technically somewhere that I should park."
Yep, plenty of on-street parking down there. The signs said 2 hour limit, but there were lots of trucks and nobody bothered us.

1/3/08 "If I leave early enough, I should be able to beat the morning rush."
Yep, got down in the middle of the night. Traffic was about as light as you'll ever see it in LA.

1/3/08 "North sounds bad as far as this weekend goes, so I'm crossing my fingers for something going east out of Calexico or Otay Mesa."
Close, but even better. I picked up in Holtville, which is along I-8. Same general concept but I didn't have to deal with any of those border drop lots. From there, I was dispatched to Rockford, Illinois. I get to leave the mountains for a while and go back to the midwest where I belong.

1/3/08 "If you know anything about me, you know that this paragraph guarantees me a run back up I-5."
Nope. The other guy who dropped off at the same place as I did and picked up at the same place as I did... He's headed to Kent, Washington. I win!

1/2/08 "Weekend runs out of California tend to be pretty long, so that's at least a little promising."
Yep. 200+ miles on the deadhead, with almost 2,000 loaded miles to Rockford. Very productive weekend indeed.

1/2/08 "Of course I'll probably get to enjoy all of the snow that is apparently going to pound those damn mountains in the next couple of days."
Nope. The mountains on I-8 were nice and smooth and I crossed them with an empty trailer. Beauty.

So yeah, upon further review I agree with myself. Today was a damn good day. I got out of LA and past San Diego before the afternoon rush. The pickup in Holtville was nice and easy. The load is a reasonable 29,000 pounds. I'm quite content at this point in time. About the only downside is that I actually have to work a little this weekend. I had settled into a daily routine consisting of 5-8 hours of driving and lots of relaxing. This thing has to deliver by Monday afternoon, so I actually have to cover some ground. Just when I thought I'd get to watch some playoff football. Now the 'Skins will just have to win so I can check them out next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.