Friday, December 21, 2007

12/21/07

There's an old running joke among Notre Dame fans. Every week during football season, without fail, a handful of people would ask what time the game starts. For half the season, Notre Dame was on Central Time. Then, when we would "fall back," they stayed the same so they joined those of us on Eastern Time. So, when the game time said 2:30pm EST, sometimes it meant 2:30pm and sometimes it meant 3:30pm. Indiana joined most of the country in adopting daylight savings time a few years back, so the people asking "what time is the game" just sound silly. Most of Indiana, that is. Apparently Gary, aka the Paris of the midwest, is on Central Time. I did not know that.

I checked in this morning at 4am (Eastern), was told that I was an hour early, and went back to bed for a little while. There was a CFI trailer sitting on the lot. I suspected that it was mine, but the broad behind the counter was having none of it. An hour later I got my trailer assigned and grabbed my paperwork. Yep, that trailer.

This run has to be delivered by 4am Monday (according to ConWay), but my dispatch says 11:59pm Sunday. No big deal there, as I have no desire to get up at 4am Monday anyhow. Since I can drop and hook any time, this schedule is a pretty favorable one. I can run hard, limit my breaks, and get there very early Sunday. Or I can take it a little easy and get there Sunday night. My guess is that the weather is going to have a say in things before all is said and done. Today's only issue was wicked heavy fog all the way across Iowa. The local radio here in Nebraska says that snow and sleet are coming overnight, so we'll see how things look in the morning. I'm hoping whatever comes through tonight is cleaned up a little before I get further west tomorrow. The forecast for Cheyenne looks pretty decent, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm still holding out hope that one of these economic think tanks will offer to throw some money my way. Since they're never right anyway, what could be the harm in giving me a shot? Remember my less than eloquent summary of consumer attitudes the day after Thanksgiving? It looks like even I manage to get one right every now and then. Send those offers for employment at your local D.C. think tank to the feedback link below.

And I know some of you will get a chuckle out of this one. What's the point in having a sense of humor if you can't laugh at yourself, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.