Tuesday, December 18, 2007

12/18/07

Well, what will be today's cliche? How about 'beggars can't be choosers'? Yeah, that will work.

I got my truck back from Kenworth this afternoon and went on the board. #5. Okay, not so bad. Then 2pm turned into 10:30pm and here I sat. Just about the time I was about to write the day off as a complete loss, I got a call from the terminal. I have a load sitting on the yard, delivering to somewhere in Ontario between midnight and 4am. Awesome. 156 miles, middle of the night, short notice, freaking Canada... just awesome.

But hey, at least it will get me out of town for the time being. Better than nothing. Now you'll have to excuse me, as I have to go to work.

2 comments:

  1. You think maybe your company could do somthing a little better than the system they have now. They make you wait a board all day to give a crummy load of a 150 miles. Do you think there is a better system somewhere else,or somthing this company can do better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we all think we know how things could be done better and I'm certainly no different in that sense. That's the nature of being an employee in America. The thing is though, I don't really know what could have been done differently in this case. The load had to be delivered and I was the one with hours available. Just one of those things.

    It was the back end of a dedicated run, so I'm almost certain that the driver on the run was highlighted home for Christmas. In a situation like that, I don't have a huge problem taking one for the team. If I were the one with a family to get home to, I would hope someone else was ready to pick up the run for me.

    The short run didn't make a huge difference to me. I get a lot of short runs and they always seem to add up at the end of the month. The down side was being awake all day and then having to run overnight. Some guys make a big issue out of that. Me, I just go with the flow.

    I suppose they could have let me know earlier in the day that I should get some sleep. That's one thing that could have been handled better.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.