Tuesday, July 3, 2007

7/3/07

Since I couldn't start driving again until midnight, I basically had exactly enough time to make my 7am delivery appointment. That meant no stopping, no slowing down, and no room for mistakes. I did the run just in time,only to be told by the customer that they would get to me around 9am. That info could have been useful around 4am when the eyelids were starting to get a little heavy. But anyway...

After getting empty in Columbus, Ohio I had 2.5 hours left on my 70 hours. I was quickly assigned to another load. As usual, if I bring anything into Columbus, I leave with beer. Lots of procedural red tape at the brewery, tight time schedule, and 45,000 pounds in the box. I'm scheduled to pick up tonight at 10pm and deliver in Chicago tomorrow morning. Another day... another all-nighter. I'll head over to the brewery at 9:30, so the remaining 2.5 hours I can work will carry me through midnight, when I'll pick up more hours.

I spent today sleeping soundly with the A/C on full tilt. When I woke up I was hungry so I headed to a local tavern. Apparently they don't serve food, but the bartender told me about a Mexican restaurant within walking distance. It was about a quarter-mile down the street and the food was muy bueno.

Since I'm well-rested and becoming adapted to this overnight schedule, the timing of this next run doesn't really bother me too much. My only concern is the fact that I'm delivering to an urban part of a major city on a holiday, so there is a real possibility that I won't be getting a load out of there tomorrow. Cities like Chicago don't tend to be the easiest places to find room to park and kill a day, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.