Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Good Stuff

I can't even remember how I stumbled across this one tonight.  One story linked to another story.  Then that story linked to a YouTube video.  Then I started clicking on random shit along the right side of the screen.  Eventually I wound up on this one.  One of my favorite songs, as it turns out.

Anyhow, some of you trucker types will enjoy the footage that this dude has put together.  And he edited it quite well, just for good measure.



As for me, I bounce back and forth between various songs that I think encapsulate my life at any given moment.  For now, I think this one is damned near perfect.  ...Which one will I be today?...

Maybe you can relate.  Maybe not.

♫ Winners and losers
Turn the pages of my life
We’re beggars and choosers

With all the struggles and the strife
I got no reason

To turn my head and look the other way
We’re good and we’re evil

Which one will I be today?

There’s saints and sinners
Life’s a gamble and you might lose
There’s cowards and heroes
Both have been known now to break the rules
There’s lovers and haters
The strong and the weak will all have their day
We’re devils and angels
Which one will I be today?

Chorus:
Are you happy now with all the choices you’ve made?
Are there times in life when you know you should’ve stayed?
Will you compromise and then realize the price is too much to pay?
Winners and losers, which one will you be today?

There’s a light and a dark side
Standing at the crossroads, there we’ll meet
There’s prophets and fools there
The lies and the truth, will be at our feet
I got a reason

To turn my head and look the other way
Its heaven and hell here

Which one will I live today?

Chorus:
Are you happy now with all the choices you’ve made?
Are there times in life when you know you should’ve stayed?
Did you compromise and then realize the price was too much to pay?
Winners and losers, which one will you be today?

Which one will you be today?

Which one will I be today?

Bonus points if you recognized Culpepper Country Restaurant from the beginning of the video.

I knew something looked familiar.  The layout of the roads suggested Texas, but there was a place in Mississippi that seemed to come to mind as well.  My time traveling the highways and byways went by in a hurry at times.  A lot of it was a blur.  I actually took some time to read random posts from this blog a little while ago.  I don't remember half the stuff that I wrote about, but then there are some little details that seem to come to mind instantly.  It's weird how that works.

After a little slow-mo replay, I identified the roads in this video and... yep.  Texas.  I stopped for dinner one night, two and a half hours or so out of Lancaster.  The food was unremarkable and so was the service.  The waitress was unattractive and the price was nothing special.  Something about that grungy gravel lot stuck with me though.  I didn't have a beautiful wife seeing me off, as this fella apparently did, but still there was something about that place.  I can't even remember what I had for dinner.  Just that gravel lot, the Texas heat, and a lot of miles to cover.

Oh, and there was some old dude in a rundown pickup truck on I-30 that night after I left the restaurant.  He would drive just a little slower than I was driving.  Then, when I finally got sick of it and started to go around, he would go a little faster and leave me hanging out to dry in the left lane.  After I gave up and fell back in behind him, he would start to go a little slower.  Until I decided it was time to go around... rinse, recycle, repeat.  Yep.  I remember that night.

This equipment hauler guy did a good job with his video though.  That was actually supposed to be the point of this post.  I came across the video at random and reached an instant conclusion.  Good stuff.

5 comments:

  1. Joe,

    Do you miss the OTR? I'm getting closer to leaving the cube and heading out, looks like this August or September.

    Down to picking between Conway and a small company called LTI Trucking out of St. Louis.

    Maybe some day it will me dropping in on your town and we can catch a Tiger game so I can see real fans.

    J.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't miss it. I didn't mind being on the road for the most part, and getting to see different places and meet fine folks such as yourself was an added benefit. But the four years were enough for me. I got what I needed and/or wanted out of it.

    Th fans are packing the stadium in Detroit this year, to be sure. Averaging somewhere north of 37,000 and we're just getting into the heat of summer. Now if only the team were as good as it should be... then we'd be on to something.

    I know the secret parking spots for trucks around here like the back of my hand now. One benefit to being a local driver for a couple of years. If the winds ever blow you through town, I'll show you a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video find. Depicts my life to a T as well. I am still full OTR though. I did the local stuff and found its hard work for little pay.. you found an exception gig.. OTR is my bag though and I figure i'll be doing this until I retire I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked OTR while I was doing it. Something about not knowing where tomorrow would take and such.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.