Monday, November 15, 2010

Bankruptcy Proceedings

A few things transpired this evening that may have provided a way out of this little malaise that I've encountered.  First was that I heard a song while I was at the gym and the words actually made sense.  (Yeah, it was a Miley Cyrus song.  So what?)  Second was that I drove past the GM Powertrain plant in Romulus on my way home.  Third was that I logged onto my computer when I got home and reviewed some of the correspondence from you fine folks.  So how do we combine these three disparate influences into a way that this blog can seem like a worthwhile use of my time?  Simple.  In honor of the Motor City, Fenian Godfather Inc. is filing for Chapter 11 reorganization.

This isn't a financial bankruptcy, of course.  You folks have been kind enough that it only took two and a half years for the first hundred dollars to reach my bank account.  Since we have an operating budget of zero dollars here, I project that we'll be fiscally solvent for quite some time.  No, this bankruptcy is one of inspiration.  When it's hard to tell one day from the next, I simply don't have anything worthwhile to say every day.  Therefore, on most days, I won't say anything.  That part is simple enough.

The part that remains unresolved will be the new operating model.  We'll just have to play it by ear for a while.  Whenever the mood strikes, something will appear on the page and then you can judge for yourselves whether or not it makes any sense.  We'll have to change the name of the blog, of course, in order to indemnify FGI against any liability for transgressions committed prior to this shakeup.  I'll go ahead and slap a new sign out front tonight.  Then we'll have to wipe out all debts owed to prior stakeholders and have the taxpayers bail out our labor unions.  (I'm not even sure how that part translates into our little metaphor here, but I know it has to be done.)  And I'll be appointing a new board to oversee the operations at our various enterprises, but you won't need to worry about that part.  It's all under control.

A few Brett Favre wisecracks are probably inevitable now, but rest assured that nobody will be getting a picture of my pecker in a text message.

Economics as a potential blog topic?  Sure, I can see some potential...

6 comments:

  1. Most excellent Joe! I was starting withdrawal already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are back Joe - I've enjoyed your "ramblings" for a very long time. Always wished I could have met you too.... SP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... you want to cut back on the frequency of your workload, yet FGI is financially solid.

    If only the U.S. Post Office had your business model to follow...

    :-p

    --Calmar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've probably pointed this out before, but meeting me in person is always bound to be an underwhelming experience. So I'm pretty sure you haven't missed anything, but it is nice to hear from you again.

    The USPS really should face the fact that it's a relic of a bygone era and do away with the pretense. Deliver mail on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, charge 80 cents (or whatever) for a letter, slash and burn the payroll and pension obligations, and move along.

    As for our little organization here, the voices work for free. That's the secret to a stable balance sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't mean to skip over those first two comments. Much appreciated, as always. Just got caught reading the bottom of the page first.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.