Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10/27/10

Imagine my surprise this morning when I became aware that my log book still has a Line 2. I've been sent to Tennessee with this sleeper cab before and still got my hotel money. Apparently now we're sleeping in the truck whenever a sleeper cab is available.

In a certain sense, it's just as well to hop in the bunk and go to bed for the night. It's a bit of a hassle to get a motel room for a quick 10 hour break anyway.

In another sense, it sucks balls. Since I'm not staying at a motel, I can't park at a motel. I had forgotten just how much I love looking for a parking space at a truck stop late at night.

Luckily for me, at the very least, I keep a pillow in my car for my pre-workout naps. Otherwise I may have been really annoyed.

The drive down was a pain in the ass, as could be expected with a 10am departure. Early rush hour in Cincinnati, late rush hour in Louisville, and the daily accidents were still being cleaned up in Nashville. (Those people really should take driving classes or something.)

After my drop/hook in Murfreesboro, the rest of the drive... was a pain in the ass. Go figure. There was construction on I-24 and those same awesome Nashville drivers haven't caught on to the whole 'merging' phenomenon. Good times. Good times.

Of course, by the time I got into Kentucky, the truck stops were full. After making passes through the Flying J, Petro, and Pilot, I hadn't found a spot. Since I do still get my meals reimbursed, I parked in the fuel island and headed in to get some dinner at Wendy's before trying the Shell station on the other side of the freeway. When I came back out to my truck, I spotted a parking space. How 'bout that.

Now we get to see if I can get some sleep amidst the idling trucks. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.