Monday, October 25, 2010

10/25/10

I find that I like my spot on the seniority list at work.  I'm near the bottom, meaning that I'm less likely to get two loads on the days when a lot of drivers are working.  I'm not all the way at the bottom though.  Three or four guys were hired after me, meaning that I do catch a second load quite a bit of the time when those lower-ranked guys only get one.  This seems to be a pretty good balance for me.  Higher on the list, I would get two loads almost every day and work a lot more than I do now.  Lower on the list, I would almost never get two loads and would make a lot less money than I do now.  In addition, whenever I am among the low-ranking guys who only get one load on slow days, I always get the highest paying single load on my shift.  Sometimes it becomes a matter of making thirty or forty dollars over the minimum while other guys have to settle for the $140.

In related news, I'm going to Midland and Mount Pleasant tomorrow. That's a nice and easy two-stop run, but the 301 miles are enough to bump the pay up to $164.  Not early retirement kinda money or anything, but I really do like my easy shifts when I can get them.  There's always gonna be a two-load day just around the corner, given the way my colleagues like to call in sick and whatnot, so I have no complaints on the light days.

As for today, blah.  I slept until noon, got out of bed, felt sore, and got back into bed.  That covered the first part of the day, but eventually I got hungry.  And I needed some quarters in order to do my laundry.  That routine is a little tedious, but it has to be done sometimes.  Drive out by the airport, hit the ATM, drive over to the truck stop on Inkster, buy a fantastic Italian BMT with double meat (breaking a $20 bill in the process), drive back toward home, use the change machine at the car wash to get some quarters, then go home and wash my clothes.  This is the height of fun and excitement, I can assure you.

It's really hard to top the thrill of such an entertaining evening, but I found a way to do it by golly.  A nap and a workout.  Woohoo!  Seriously man, what a waste of a day.  There's always tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.