Tuesday, October 26, 2010

10/26/10

Technically speaking, I guess this blog is still occasionally centered around the experiences that I have as a truck driver.  This may lead some people to believe that I'm at least a little bit knowledgeable about the topic.  I'm really not though.  I probably know less about trucks and truck driving than half the people who have never set foot in a big rig.  For instance: Are you supposed to back into a loading dock when it looks like this?  I have no idea.
That back wheel was submerged past the axle, which leads me to believe that it probably didn't belong there.  You can see where the black matting around the edge of the dock door ends.  The dock itself sits a few inches above that level.  All I knew was that Mount Pleasant is two and a half hours from home and I had nine pallets of milk for those chuckleheads, so they were getting their damned delivery.

I heard from a few people today asking how bad the storms were.  To tell you the truth, I didn't notice much of anything.  It was pretty windy and there was some steady rain, but it was nothing like what I was hearing on the radio.  Guess I caught a lucky route.

I was a little bit up in the air about whether or not I should work out my arms after work tonight.  Since I incurred this back injury, I've stayed away from leg workouts and lengthy cardio sessions.  They just hurt too much.  So, with all of the workouts involving my upper body, the scheduling gets to be a pain in the ass (no pun intended).  I went at it pretty hard with my back workout last night, meaning that my biceps were fairly taxed by the end, so it would be preferable to leave a day of rest in-between before I come back and hit my arms.  Skipping tonight would throw the rest of the week off though.  I still hadn't decided how to proceed as I was driving back toward Livonia to drop off my trailer full of empty cases.  Then my dispatcher called with tomorrow's assignment and made the decision an easy one.  I worked out my arms tonight because there won't be any weight lifting tomorrow.

That assignment, you ask?

3 comments:

  1. I woke up yesterday morning at 0330 in Kenosha (just south of Racine), headed through Chicago before the rush. Hearing on the radio about high winds at Racine and Kenosha. Got into Indiana and heard how winds were causing probs in Chicago; made it into Ohio, heard the Governor of Indiana asking all commercial vehicles to park it until the wind quit. All the way, buffeted by winds from the side. Glad you made it okay.
    -- Calmar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I had to dig deep to find my copy of that CD. After almost twenty years I still think the CD as a whole kinda sucked. A one hit wonder? Did they have any further luck.

    Thanks anyway for the song. Brought back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a book that nobody ever wrote. It was called Demon Trucker. The demon trucker took the form of a human and left devastation in his wake. He always wound up at his home base - New Jersey. Since Jersey is understood to be the Americanized version of Hell on earth, the story comes full circle, you know, given that he's a demon and all. Someone really should write that book.

    And John... Here, have a dollar. In fact, no, brother man, here, have two.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.