Saturday, August 14, 2010

8/14/10

It certainly seemed like she may have left us forever, but it appears that our girl has returned to drop another bunch of right-wing hate on the world.



I ain't gonna lie to you. I still kinda have a crush on her. Just a little. I think some of that stimulus money went to help my... ahem... brother Teamsters at YRC though, so I guess I have to hate her and her "fiscally responsible" nonsense. I'm torn, by golly.  Torn like an old sweater!

Not a whole lot to report from here in Michigan today.  I knocked out my stops in Howell, Grand Blanc, and Imlay City, then got back to the terminal by 8:30pm.  This means that I completed the trip in just over six hours, which was nice.  It also meant that I started sitting on my couch at 9pm on a Saturday, which wasn't so nice.  My friends are largely either boring, broke, or some combination of the two. 

To a certain extent though, I have to agree with George Will.  A little peace and quiet (or boredom) does us all some good every now and then.  This age of instant gratification is dragging us all toward the abyss, one tweet or one Facebook status update at a time.  I'm just gonna kick back and read for a while.  (Nothing meaningful, of course.  Don't kid yourselves.  It's just that the latest issue of Maxim arrived today.  Maybe they'll have some decent jokes or sexy pictures or something.)

I start work at noon tomorrow and it looks like I'll have a long day in store.  A three-stopper to Flint and Saginaw will be followed by a two-stopper to Toledo.  With the way my pay weeks fall, a busy Sunday is a good kickoff.  Tomorrow's $280 will be no exception.  I wouldn't mind if every week went something like the one that just wrapped up.  The $1,100 in earnings won't shatter any records, but it's more than enough for me, especially once I start to get retirement contributions and monthly performance bonuses to augment the base pay.  I was left alone on my two scheduled days off and had a good mix of busy days and easy days throughout the week.

Guess I should try to get a little of that reading done now.  Bedtime will come around soon enough.

3 comments:

  1. Joe said-->My friends are largely either boring, broke, or some combination of the two.<--/endquote
    WHAT?????!!!!! roflmfao!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No more silly drunk Chinese hookers. Take that trip off the table for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly enough, it's true that I have friends who would rather go to bed at 10pm on a Saturday and others who don't want to spend money on gas (or whatever other excuse they may offer), since they know damned well that I'll pick up the tab wherever we go. I seriously think I had more fun when I was out on the road.

    Therefore... I've decided that I need to befriend some of these newly sober Chinese hookers. I don't know how fun they may or may not be, but at least I can guess that they stay up past 10pm. That's a start. And since they're not drunk anymore, they probably manage to save some of their earnings for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.