Wednesday, August 11, 2010

8/11/10

We spoke about inspiration recently, didn't we?  If you're not up to speed on this part of the deal, then I'm sorry about your luck.  You're gonna have to read this blog a little more frequently.  Tonight I was fortunate enough to encounter a brilliant bit of inspiration... twice. 

After this afternoon's work - 200 miles of driving with stops in Bridgeport, Saginaw, and Frankenmuth - I headed back to the terminal in Livonia.  My two closest friends were waiting for me there with my newly repaired car.  As we bantered back and forth about various things, The Big Lebowski was mentioned at some point in time.  This provided the first dose of inspiration.  How long has it been since you last went bowling?  For me it had been a while.  For my friends even longer, I suspect.  So we swung by my place and grabbed my bowling balls, then hit the lanes.  I might as well have used a house ball, given how poorly I bowled, but we had a good time just the same.

After grabbing some groceries and heading home for the night, my one buddy and I were sitting around and shooting the breeze.  I decided to pop Bull Durham into the DVD player.  This is another of those movies that you can see a hundred times and still enjoy it the next time around.  As the story of ole Crash's time in Durham played out on the screen, I mentioned that it would be pretty cool to live in a town with a minor league team.  Hey, wait a second...

A quick visit to toledomudhens.com produced... well... nothing.  Apparently it hasn't occurred to anyone that this would be a good website for a team called the Toledo Mud Hens.  Google got me there eventually though.  It turns out that the Hens are in town this week and I have the day off tomorrow.  Seats down the left field foul line, in the fourth row, for nine bucks a pop?  Pretty cool indeed.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you stopped in at Tony Packos and had a cold one and chile dog. Sounds good on a ballgame evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheap entertainment since most of the "good" Mudhens are playing for the Tigers. Look for Ed Crankshaft !

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE!!! I don't check on you for a few weeks and you abandon ship...I found your comments about Con-way interesting....I've never had a good solid trustful feeling myself....but it sounded like it worked out OK...which means they would take you back if the urge arose...What am I going to do with you...overnight you turned into a card carrying...unionized liberal Democrat...you and Pelosi can now play snuggle bunny together....hehe.....good luck in your new endeavor ...more home time is a good time.....How bout those Redskins.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing about Tony Packo's. We did head over after the game. I don't eat chili and I don't eat hot dogs, but they were kind enough to serve me a delicious black & tan. According to my buddy and my brother though, the chili dogs were as good as advertised. I'll take their word for it.

    Rhymes and Sizemore had good games for the Hens tonight and the scenery was as good as I recall from my time in Toledo, so everyone had a good time. The team lost but we Detroit folks have gotten used to that sort of thing this year.

    On the work front - When someone makes you an offer you can't refuse... you gotta take it.

    Once all was said and done, it seems that the Con-way folks behaved with a little more integrity than I was willing to assume that they would display. I got my full $300 deposit back within a couple of weeks and I got my full vacation pay. In point of fact, I even got a call from one of the recruiters saying that I was eligible for re-hire. That one struck me as odd, given the way I handled my halfassed departure. I'm still less than impressed by that employment verification bullshit though. That was bush league.

    There's an awesome benefit to the fact that I have to be a Democrat now. When my taxes go up at the end of the year, I can pretend like I wanted it that way. Always look at the bright side, my friend.

    I think the home time is a bit overrated, as I've noted before, but I'm starting to get adjusted.

    All I can say about the Skins is that Haynesworth = the last ten years in a nutshell. Overpaid, lazy, arrogant, and really not all that good. But hey, they haven't played a game yet, so there's always hope...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got your deposit back? we didn't get shit back from them.. but give the fact we just took it to the con-way freight yard here they probably figured that square for recovery efforts.

    As long as I didn't have to sit on the 41 hour hillbilly express to get home I kinda call it fair in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What, you don't enjoy overnight Greyhound rides? I thought they were considered a treat.

    Your deposit was probably swiped for recovery charges, if I had to guess. My missing ID was the only thing that could have been used against me, but I guess they decided to cut me some slack on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.