Friday, July 30, 2010

7/30/10

I think that the oddsmakers at the Fenian Godfather Handicapping Service might want to start updating their resumés.  "The risk would be that they end up pulling me in early again and I've only had a few hours of sleep, but I'm under the impression that the manpower is more lacking on the late shift this time around. I'll play the odds."  I'm such a sucker.  At least the dispatcher dude didn't call until 10:30am today.

I was expecting to pull my first trailer at 6pm today and then return to the dairy for a second load on the overnight shift.  Not so fast, my friends.  A special order came up and I was going to need to cover it.  Once I heard the details, I was quite content to get out of bed and get ready for work.  Three pallets to Ferndale and another three pallets to Sterling Heights.  The load was scheduled for 1:30pm and paid $84.58, plus my $15 incentive for taking a second run.  After I had made the two quick and easy stops, I would return to the dairy and pull my originally scheduled load.  Instead of running until 7am tomorrow, I would be wrapping up around midnight tonight.  Not bad.

The paperwork wasn't ready when I got to the dairy, so I had to hang around for twenty minutes or so.  As I watched the time ticking off the clock in my truck, it occurred to me that I would be crossing Detroit right in the middle of rush hour.  Bummer.  Still though, catching almost a hundred bucks for a few hours of work couldn't be too terrible.

My drive over to Ferndale was pretty straightforward.  The store is located at the corner of 8 Mile and Wyoming so there's plenty of traffic in the area, but I had been there once before.  On that first trip, I made the mistake of entering the store's parking lot from 8 Mile.  Bad move.  There was no room for me to spin around and face in the correct direction once I got into the lot, so I wound up having to back around the corner of the store and between parked cars in order to get pointed the right way.  Thank God it was late at night, giving me a sporting chance of navigating the parking lot without running over anyone.  No such drama today though.  I came in via the side driveway on Wyoming and circled behind the store.  Once I got around to the loading docks I was already pointed to the south, as I needed to be.  Beauty.

Getting from Ferndale to Sterling Heights on a Friday afternoon... if you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you.  Seriously.  The freeway was pretty much a parking lot from Royal Oak to Troy.  I got to my second and last stop eventually though.  The dairy guy basically did all of the work for me, although it really was only three pallets.  I grabbed three stacks of empty cases from outside so that I could shove them into the trailer after homeboy was finished.  He got all the milk out and I got all the empties in.  Fifteen minutes - sayonara.  Beauty.

As I headed back toward the dairy to retrieve my second load, I got a call from the dispatcher.  I've essentially concluded at this point that I should never answer the phone, but I answered it today.  The dispatcher was wondering how far I was from Livonia.  Around 10-20 miles was my best guess.  That was perfect, I was told.  There had been a change in plans.  Instead of pulling my three-stop load and spending seven or eight hours delivering milk, I would be taking a trailer from our other dairy and making a Grand Rapids turn.  Six bucks more in pay - good.  One fewer hour of work - good.  No dealing with insane loading docks or pallet jacks for the rest of the day - excellent!  I probably wouldn't mind phone calls from dispatchers if they always made my life easier like this one did.

I rolled into Livonia and dropped off my trailer full of empty cases a short time later.  As I rolled past the guard shack, my phone rang again.  Yep, it was work calling.  Dude, don't even tell me that I'm getting stuck back on a milk delivery run.  "Hey Joe, one more change in plans..."  Shit.  What now?  This call actually turned out to be another one that made my life easier.  Instead of taking a trailer from Livonia to Grand Rapids, then bringing another one back to Livonia, I would be bobtailing out to G.R. and then bringing a loaded trailer back with me.  Beauty.

My drop/hook (without the drop) went perfectly and I got back to Livonia by 11:15pm.  Inspection done by 11:30pm and we have ourselves a ten-hour day.  For another $250 in earnings, I think I can handle that sort of schedule.

Wait a minute.  The estimate for a small dent and some scratches on my car is $1,400?  Damn.  Maybe this trucking stuff is just completely the wrong line of work.  Maybe I need to start scamming insurance companies.

3 comments:

  1. Not bad of pay for local driving, respectively! I can't find ANYTHING like that here in Phoenix, and the operations pay and drama suck at this 'ol mega-carrier based here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, can't tell you how much I enjoy your daily posts. A highlight of my day is going to the Fenian Godfather tab and seeing what you are up to.

    Keep it up my friend, we appreciate it. The shift to milk makes it just that much more interesting.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just Phoenix. I've seen probably 90% of the job listings in Detroit for the past few years. I never saw anything like this around here either. Most stuff was $13-14 an hour. Every now and then something would pop up saying $16 or $17 an hour, taking hazmat in and out of Canada and other assorted nonsense.

    The Con-way LTL guys on the message boards like to say that they clear a bunch of money, but I've had some personal conversations that leave me skeptical. Plus, again, hazmat and doubles and so forth. I was more content to stay on the road and make my thousand bucks a week. Then this little deal fell into my lap. Hopefully it will get easier with time though. It's a lot of work.

    George, I appreciate the feedback. I suppose that, if nothing else, it's good to get a change of pace from the old routine. At least until the new one becomes old. Then who knows?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.