Sunday, June 20, 2010

6/20/10

There are days, rare as they may seem, when my job involves little more than holding the steering wheel and setting the cruise control.  Today was almost one of those days.  Goddamned El Paso and its 'No Trucks In Left Lane' while our international guests tie up the two right lanes at 45mph.  Aside from those twenty miles of frustration though, it was a pretty simple kinda day.

Since the actual driving didn't bring us a lot of content, we're forced to look elsewhere.  If we look at the start of the day, things appear pretty good.  I stayed in bed nice and late for no reason other than that I could.  I headed inside and got some lunch, at which point I was reminded that A&W makes a fantastic bacon double cheeseburger.  Then it was time to drive.

If we look at the middle of the day, things appear pretty good.  My Tigers bounced back to make it eight out of nine on their home stand against the National League.  I got waved through another CBP checkpoint, this time in Texas.  My load is light enough that I was able to kick back and let the cruise control drag me along (aside from that stretch through El Paso).  Traffic and weather were rather favorable (aside from that stretch through El Paso).  No asinine messages came across the satellite.  My father was a little drunk by the time I called to wish him a happy Father's Day.  That's not a huge deal, but we don't generally have a lot to talk about.  When he's sober the conversations tend to be a little awkward, as neither of us really knows what to say.  Whenever he has a few pops in him, we can just exchange wisecracks for a few minutes and I'm off the hook.

If we look at the end of the day, things appear pretty good.  I cruised into the Flying J in Pecos and grabbed a pull-through parking space, then found that Sprint has upgraded its Mobile Broadband coverage in this area.  It used to be so slow that I would fork over the $5 to use Flying J's wifi for a night.  Now it's pretty quick.  This is handy when you want to read about the news of the day and such, even if such news leaves you scratching your head.

Tomorrow should be another day when I don't have to get up early.  I'm probably going to end up stopping in Weatherford.  That's only around 360 miles from here, so I can get a late start and still find a parking space without too much trouble.

Did a damned Euro really win the U.S. Open?  I know it's Northern Ireland and all, so maybe Gramps would have been proud, but come on.  That just ain't right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.