Tuesday, May 4, 2010

5/4/10

Honest question, since the topic seems to dominate the news these days.  If you're going to inject your NBA franchise into a political debate, couldn't you at least be bothered to get the words right?  Should it not be 'Los Soles?'  They're not celebrating Cinco de May tomorrow, for Christ's sake.

Those Kenworth mechanics seemed to have an uncanny ability to drag ass until it was almost closing time and then hurry up and get the job done.  I checked out of my motel room nice and early this morning, in order to make sure I was ready and waiting whenever my truck was fixed.  They pulled it into a service bay early in the afternoon.  They pulled it out of the service bay at around 7pm.  Bummer.

So today was essentially another lost day.  At least I got my truck back in time to scoot across town to the local truck stop before all of the parking dried up.  We'll consider that a good thing.  And my brakes feel normal again.  Obviously this is a good thing.  I'm #2 on the board right now, meaning that I should get back into the flow of things tomorrow morning.  I got my purchase order number from the road service guys for my motel room tonight, so that's one less bit of housekeeping for tomorrow.  There remains the obligatory request for layover pay.  Since I was introduced to the bizarre concept of "layover math" last month, I have no idea what to expect from these chuckleheads.  I did get paid correctly for my breakdown time in El Paso though, so maybe it will work out right.

One of the most memorable days that I've had in recent years came last September. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the ballgame where Ernie Harwell gave his farewell address to the people of Detroit. He was always the embodiment of the phrase 'class act' and we were supremely blessed to share the decades of memories that we did. Ernie lost his battle with cancer today. The world lost a good man.


3 comments:

  1. That was a good day last September. He gave an amazing speech that night...but then again he was an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost a true legend there. RIP Ernie. I never got to see that farewell speech.. I thought he was still in the game.. although I don't watch sports all that much these days. Great post, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird how simple some of the best things in life can be. My family used to go camping a lot in the summer when I was a teenager. I had baseball games a few days a week so I always stayed home. Sitting on the front porch and listening to Ernie on the radio always made for a perfect summer evening.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.