Sunday, May 23, 2010

5/23/10

I don't know man.  Either I got stuck at a loading dock all morning, dragged a 45,000 pound load out of Pennsylvania in the rain, ran into horseshit traffic around Philly, more horseshit traffic in Delaware, more horseshit traffic in Baltimore, more horseshit traffic around D.C., and everything at a dead standstill in northern Virginia... or I was lucky enough to get a spot to park and take a quick shower in Perryville, there was plenty of room to park at the Virginia welcome center just a couple of miles from tomorrow's consignee, and the Tigers hung on to beat the Dodgers this afternoon.  Take your pick.  I'm willing to settle for the second version of events as long as I can get a new assignment before my trailer is empty tomorrow.  That seems fair enough.

Assuming that I have to go on the board tomorrow morning, I'm pretty much screwed in terms of parking.  Ruther Glen is about 25 miles to the south.  If I head down there, I'll get an assignment picking up in Baltimore or something.  Or I could do about ten miles of circling around and get back to where I am right now, at the welcome center on the southbound side of the freeway.  Then I'll probably get an assignment picking up to the south, such that Ruther Glen would have been right on the way.

I swear this job would be pretty cool if, as soon as I picked up a load, someone was at work setting up my next assignment.  Not around here though.  We play the 'wait and react' game more often than not.  I've had times when I had work pre-planned for a week solid, so I know someone in the state of Missouri has the ability to make it happen.  For whatever reason though, it's not standard operating procedure.  And that, as the kids like to say, is a damned shame.

Also a damned shame - 7am appointment tomorrow.

Also a damned shame - I figured out the answer to an e-mail riddle so now I'm apparently a psychopath or something.

Also a damned shame - I have to lift weights tonight.

Not a damned shame - I've somehow made it through 33 years on earth without ever doing anything this stupid...  and that makes me smile.

5 comments:

  1. What is a 'pre-plan'? Is that something akin to 'hens teeth'?

    The photo just ain't right. Something is missing. Where's the 'wide load banner'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe! That weight training is paying off man... or are you the one with the sword? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you guys both had better watch out. That fella is such a badass ninja that he has no use for the little sissy pajamas. His shield tattoo thing (or whatever that is) is all he needs. You're just lucky that his babe is holding him back.

    That whole pre-plan thing really is a mystery to me. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if it makes you feel any better one of my other friends replied to that e-mail with the correct answer. Although I've swore for years she is nuts!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still say it was nothing more than a deductive reasoning exercise. You start going through the possible reasons for a broad to kill her sister and it doesn't take too long to sort it out.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.