Sunday, March 14, 2010

3/14/10

The world is an interesting place.  One day, you might find yourself headed into the black hole of trucking known as southern Florida.  Then, out of the blue, you might get an e-mail.  Before you know it, you've stumbled onto a parking spot (one of the Miami area's best-kept secrets) within a short hop of your consignee.  A new friend has taken you to a local establishment for an excellent dinner, where 'all you can eat' is not just a slogan.  Your Swedish buddy Sjoe has enjoyed... well... you know... that stuff that your Swedish buddy Sjoe enjoys.  You've watched Boondock Saints 2 on a screen that would dwarf every television that you've ever known.  (Yeah, you've already seen it a few times, but shit, it's a pretty awesome movie.  And one of your best high school buddies is on the soundtrack, just for good measure.)  And it's all because of what?  Because you log on to your Google account every evening and post a few words about the mundane details of your daily travels.  The world is certainly an interesting place.  I know we've already covered the pleasantries, but here's to you, Mr. Rick.

It's a weird dynamic that takes place.  I'm not a very likable fella, for the most part.  I make no secret of this.  Sit across the table from me and, unless you're a hot little blonde, I don't have a whole lot to say.  Whatever I do say will probably not be worth hearing.  Anyone who knows me has either written me off or learned to tolerate me.  Occasionally though, whether in Phoenix, Fort Lauderdale, Iowa City, Cleveland, Central Arkansas, Southern Missouri, Central Michigan, or various other points within America, I hear from someone who has checked out this blog and thinks that I might enjoy some time away from my truck.  With some of you, I've managed to catch up and kill a few hours.  With others, the timing hasn't yet worked out.  In either case, you should know that I do appreciate the sort of feedback and camaraderie that I really didn't expect when I set out to answer the question - "What's it really like out there?"  You guys are A-ok in my book.

Okay, enough with the sissy business.  Let's talk trucking.  Umm... shit.  Not much to say about that.  Six hours of driving down I-95 and the turnpike.  Parked in Pompano Beach.  1pm delivery tomorrow.  Blah blah blah.  See what I'm saying?  Every day seems pretty much the same out here from my perspective.  I'll either pick up a load, deliver a load, or just drive all day.  Sometimes things will go well and sometimes they won't.  You guys who tune in to read about it are the ones who make all of this typing worthwhile.

Thanks.

Addendum: The local deaf girl is adorable.  I almost felt bad for dismissing her without consideration.  She actually said, "Please."  It has been several years since a broad said that word to me.  Hmm.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, she's cute alright - but as I said, her skill-set is not really up to par.

    If yer stuck without a load going out today, you can likely come back up to Pompano and hang. I teach a step class from 7-9, but we can grab another flick to watch on the big screen - and 70' isn't really all THAT BIG.

    I spun by the lot this morning at about 8AM, after dropping Miss "I Wanna Go To Detox In The Morning" back off in the "hood". She was alot more fun than the deaf girl - GUARANTEED. Plead broke-ness and even negotiated the price down some. Didn't really want to disturb you. The food at the greasy-spoon there is supposed to be OK.

    Really might consider opening a "truckers concession" in there - don't know if I'd actually "clean up" (as out redneck buddies alluded to last night), but it'd probably do pretty well on BEER SALES.

    At any rate - you;re not as much of an asshole as you make yourself out to be (this coming from another self-confessed-asshole). You (and SJoe) are certainly welcome in my home any time you're in this neck of the woods.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I count myself as Cleveland maybe? LOL Stay safe.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you can represent the whole Midwest as far as I'm concerned. Why limit yourself to Cleveland?

    Something with low overhead and cheap products might do okay at that market, but I think it probably sounds better in theory than it would in practice. I would have to guess that a lot of those trucks are empty at any given time.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.