Monday, March 15, 2010

3/15/10

Remember this part from yesterday?  Yeah.  The damned black hole got me this time.  After sleeping until 11am and then grabbing a cheeseburger from the little diner at the farmer's market where I spent the night, it was time to head south.  The drive down to the Miami suburbs was nothing particularly notable.  I got to the consignee at 12:30pm and checked in.  Then I got to sit... and sit.

They started unloading my trailer around 2pm.  From that point it didn't take too long.  I sent in my empty call before the trailer was completely empty, in hopes of getting a new load assignment before I would be forced to leave and find a parking space.  My strategy didn't make any difference.  No new assignment.  I was empty at 3pm and then had to figure out where to go.

Smart money tends to be on a paper load leaving Clewiston whenever I'm down this far.  So I could head up US-27 and find somewhere.  Then you know what would happen.  My next pickup would be back in Miami.  So I bit the bullet and drove into the shithole truck stop in Hialeah Gardens, right around the corner from today's delivery.  Since the flat rate for parking is $14 a day (no hourly pricing), I fully expected to get a new assignment as soon as I got settled in.  Alas, it looks like CTL's $14 won't be wasted this time around.  I'm still here.  #1 on the board at 3pm and #1 on the board at 9:30pm.  Bummer.

At least it's a beautiful night to sit and watch the cars go by.  And they have these little sandwiches on some kind of yellow Cuban bread.  Not on the level of a SubWay Italian BMT with double meat, mind you, but pretty good in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.