Friday, February 26, 2010

2/26/10



Okay, Johnny Canuck, looks like you'll get your second shot at our boys (barring an unexpected Slovakian comeback). Pretty clever move scheduling the gold medal game early in the afternoon on Sunday, so I'll be rolling down the highway and unable to shout brilliant strategies at my computer screen. The lads will just have to get it done without me.

Today was one of those days that we all need to have every once in a while. I sometimes get a kick out of the various misadventures that arise out here, and Lord knows I find more than my share of them, but occasionally I just need to have everything go smoothly. Today, everything went smoothly. A fuel stop in Midland, some preventive maintenance in Sweetwater, and a whole lot of time spent letting the cruise control drag me along.

Even with the break for the maintenance work and another break for some dinner, I had plenty of time to reach the service plaza near Stroud, Oklahoma before parking for the night. I could have gone further, I suppose, but this was far enough. And, just to prove that everything is really peachy today, I bought some fries from a smokin' hot teenage cashier chick at McDonald's a few minutes ago. After she offered a very kind compliment (somewhat rare for a big ugly dude like me, obviously), I kept my mouth shut just long enough to realize something - The sarcastic reply that came immediately to mind would have been entirely inappropriate, given that I'm probably twice as old as she is. So I just said, "Thank you," and went on my way. How 'bout them apples? I'm gettin' all growed up an' mature an' stuff.

I'm inclined to think that tomorrow should go somewhat smoothly. Well, at least as smoothly as a day involving a stop in Joplin can go. The tire guys usually don't take too long, so that part doesn't worry me. And between having my annual D.O.T. inspection within the past month, having my truck in the shop until a couple of days ago, and getting my PM service done today, there's at least a puncher's chance that I can get past the inspection guys without any issues. Hopefully anything that I (the mechanically illiterate) would tend to overlook, one of the various mechanics poking around my truck recently will already have addressed. Maybe they'll flag the trailer or something, but I think it's all good.

So... one possible issue remains. (I can't believe it has been eight months already.) This potential problem hadn't occurred to me until this evening. If they make me get that fender replaced, I'll most likely have to wait a day for the paint people to produce a black one. That's what happened after I got whacked the previous time. The body shop has red parts for the old CFI trucks and white parts for the new Con-way trucks. For folks like me, with our oddball colors, they have to use red parts and paint them to match our trucks. The paint takes a day to dry and, well, there you go. I really don't feel like giving up the rest of this run and I really, really, really don't feel like spending a day in Joplin. Hopefully, since the damage is minor and doesn't present a safety hazard, we can just let it ride until a later date. We'll see.

I can reach our yard in Pocahontas, Illinois pretty easily tomorrow, as long as nothing delays me long enough to bring the 14 hour rule into play. This means that, with the aforementioned caveat, I have a guaranteed parking space awaiting me. This means that... oh, you know what it means. Godfather - 1, Alarm Clock - 0.

I win, mofos.

Hey, one last thing. Do we really want our elected leaders poking around in monetary policy? I might tend to agree with the principle behind the whole 'Audit the Fed' business, but these people are freaking idiots. Be careful what you wish for. That's all I'm saying.

3 comments:

  1. Talk about doing it the hard way. GO CANADA GO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    After your video post disturbing. Is there no limit to the stupidity that is allowed in our government? They should make our elected officials listen to what they say afterwards so they might have a chance to hear how stupid they sound. The sound bites for the next election at least.

    There is just too many ways to make fun of this clip, it’s just sad that it’s not a SNL clip.

    J.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hoser, just remember that rule about the team that wins first.

    Maxine Waters would watch that video and think that she did a great job. She has been dumber than a box of rocks for as long as I can remember, yet she got 82.5% of the vote in 2008 and 83.7% of the vote in 2006. Stupid voters beget stupid politicians. That will never change.

    The only thing that changes is the amount of control that gets handed to Washington. There was a time when some bimbo representative from California or some senile goofball from Nevada couldn't affect my life in Michigan much at all. The fact that this is no longer the case is the reason people make all of the hysterical references to fascism and communism and so forth. Every time we allow these jackasses to inch their way toward just a little more "oversight" or a little more "fairness," the line between California's 35th District and the rest of the country gets a little thinner.

    Of course, nothing that I've said here is true, because Waters and Reid are clearly the smart ones. Studies prove it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.