Monday, December 21, 2009

12/21/09

I was born in September of 1976. Therefore, if my math is correct, I've been on this planet for a little more than 33 years. For reasons largely beyond my control I've spent many of those years studying the human psyche. Given ten minutes of interaction, I'm reasonably confident that I could understand 99% of you. Myself, on the other hand, well that one's a mystery.

I got up this morning and had some breakfast, then helped to get things packed before heading home. A four-hour drive is noticeably easier when you're not the one behind the wheel, for whatever that's worth. I was able to catch a nice long afternoon nap before it was time to head out and do some running around.

So here's where odd decision number one is made. After handling that which needed to be handled, I was in a position to decide how to spend the rest of my evening. My 'Skins were slated to make their annual appearance on Monday Night Football (on ESPN) and I don't have cable, so I was compelled to visit a local drinking establishment and watch the game. There were a few people with whom I had failed to commiserate during this trip home though. Decision time. I, a man who spends the bulk of his time alone in a fiberglass box, decided that I would rather watch the game by myself. The long weekend of forced involvement with my family likely played a role, but come on. I'm always alone. Whatever. Okay then.

I stopped at a local pub, ordered a beer, and settled in for what promised to be an entertaining contest. The Redskins have been playing fairly well lately, after all. Ten minutes later, the promising contest didn't look like it was going to materialize. I then decided to call one of those with whom I had failed to connect during the previous week. A close friend? No. A drinking buddy? No? Someone who might enjoy the game with me? No. Odd decision number two - I called a woman that I don't know very well at all. (It does bear mention that the woman in question is quite attractive.) She headed up to the pub and joined me for a few drinks.

The football game progressed in a manner that should come as no surprise. The Redskins shit the bed on national television and played in a manner unbefitting an NFL franchise. My mood was foul, to say the least. Surprisingly though, my friend seemed to be having a good time. I'm pretty sure that I had her diagnosed accurately. As for me, not so much. Who gives a damn about a football team with no shot at the playoffs, after all? Why should the game have any discernible impact on my night? I'm a freaking mystery to myself. I decided to call it an early night and head home... alone. What the hell is up with that? I'm about to head out on the road for at least a month or two. Surely I could have used some company tonight. Whatever man. I don't know. I'll figure myself out sooner or later.

Tomorrow stands to include a pretty severe morning hangover and then an afternoon of tying up loose ends before leaving town. Nothing new, I suppose. As for life here in the Detroit area being a joke... also nothing new. I'm the son of a long line of loyal Detroit union Democrats. Why can't I argue with anything that is said in the following video? I don't know man. I actually think this is one sense in which I'm pretty rational. C'est la vie...


1 comment:

  1. Great video find. I grew up in Royal Oak most of my life and didn't know half of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.