Tuesday, November 17, 2009

11/17/09

I once worked at McDonald's for a week. Have I ever told you that story? I got a job there when I was in high school. After having completed only a few training shifts, I broke my ankle in a baseball game. I went in and explained to the manager that I would be on crutches for a while and she said that it was no problem. Just let her know when I could come back. I went back to the restaurant six weeks later and the manager was excited to put me back to work, or so she said. When the next schedule came out, I called the restaurant to see which shifts I would be working. I wasn't on the schedule. Rather than seek clarification with a simple phone call to the manager, I went to work at the local movie theater. Screw it. That McDonald's job was pretty dumb anyway.

Why the little trip down memory lane this evening? Well, I didn't seek employment elsewhere tonight, but I did experience the exact same 'who gives a shit' reaction that I felt so many years ago. After spending the day running to and fro, tying up loose ends and tending to some social matters, I stopped by the terminal. I loaded up my clothing and supplies for the next month or so and then headed inside to have the dispatcher put me on the board. He was all flabbergasted by something but I was in no hurry, so I stood at the window and waited. And I waited. And I waited.

After hearing the dude freak out every few minutes when the phone rang, I wrote down my truck number and left it on his keyboard, with a note that I needed to get on the board whenever he had a chance. Then I headed home. That was four hours ago. I'm still not on the board. As a follow-up to their non-payment for my trip from the Kenworth dealership to the terminal last Friday, we can view this as another failure in basic competence on the part of the Taylor dispatchers. (For the record, they generally seem to do a good job. Not this month though, as far as my little slice of the business is concerned.) I could call the terminal now or I could call the night crew in Joplin. Either approach would probably get me on the board after I endured a few minutes of moronic discourse.

You know what though? Screw it. My job is pretty dumb anyway. Instead of going to work at the theater this time, I'll just stay home until tomorrow and take it from there. I ate a massive dinner tonight and I'm not in the mood to do anything anyhow. My evening's entertainment, for lack of a better description, even had to be curtailed because I was feeling like a damned slug. Such a tragedy.

7 comments:

  1. I've never been impressed with the Taylor terminal personally. They always act like they have somewhere else better to be every time we deal with them.. not to mention they treat me like a degenerate and my wife like a lot lizzie.

    Personally, I think if layoffs have to occur at this company they should start at Taylor and work their way south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd reconsider the Mickey's gig Vito. Home every day...........

    I can probably still pull a few strings over at Ecorse?

    Be safe Joe,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not surprisingly, my experience has been quite different. I find the local window in Joplin to be the worst, followed by Lancaster, Laredo, West Memphis, and Taylor, in that order. I don't name names here for obvious reasons, but it's also worth noting that not all local dispatchers (at any terminal) are equally up to the job.

    I was a restaurant manager for eight years, earning my master's degree from the University of Been There, Done That. Those eight years were a contributing factor in my later decision not to be home every day, without question. It was kinda like being a local truck driver though, now that you mention it - up before dawn, home after dark, fall asleep and do it again the next day. You can keep it.

    You living on the taxpayers' dime up there yet? Now that's the kind of gig that I ought to check out. I'd have to leave my bankrupt state first though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, depends on how you define on the taxpayer's dime Joe. I am working as a federal government contractor. So yes, I guess in a way I am. I won't be eligible for my first PFD (Permanent Fund Dividend) until 2010. I guess that would definitely be my first 'welfarish' payment. :) If you will.

    Now that I have had some time to reflect and look back at my experience on the road as a now "civilian," I might be softening a bit......... I can see what you are saying about not getting stuck in the same place and waking up to do the same thing over and over. As I look back on it, the time demanded of a local driver would often make life seem like "Groundhog Day." If one is minus the normal familial responsibilities, etc. Why not go out and experience the country and different things? Ok, I get it Joe. My biggest beef has always been with the low pay and horrible working conditions that drivers endure.

    Is all the fresh air and normal hours and a great lady getting to Barzini? Yeah, I guess so Corleone. Probably in a good way.......

    I'm still on the lookout for the Palin glossy for you.......

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I've been pinning my hopes on fresh beer, odd hours, and women of questionable character. You couldn't have just said it was old age that was making you soft, could you? Now I have even more to re-evaluate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh heh......well maybe just a bit of slowing down in my (middle age):)

    Indianapolis to rural Alaska has been quite a jump.........Life moves on a much different clock up here. It is not uncommon for folks to work 2 weeks and be off for 2 weeks working the same hours that (we) put in as drivers..........

    I'm working 24-30 hours a week now. It takes me about 5 minutes to commute to work. Hey Don.....there is a Subway here, expensive as hell, but you CAN get a BMT ;) That's all she wrote as far as the take out/fast food industry is concerned in Valdez. If it costs $2.00 there, it costs $6.00 or more here. I just filled up at $3.80 a gallon and could see the Trans Alaska Pipeline over my shoulder............HUH?

    BTW, the Alaskan Amber Ale beer is delicious up here. Expensive, yes. Usually around $8.99 a sixer. The hefe weizen beer that I acquired a taste for while living in Europe is very good also. Probably influenced by the large number of European tourists up here skiing and what not......

    Be safe,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.