Monday, October 5, 2009

10/5/09

Backing a big rig without mirrors isn't something you would likely try to do, is it? Well, when your delivery is scheduled for 8am with the sun rising in the east and your customer's docks are facing west, sometimes you may as well have no mirrors. Once I got backed almost all the way in, the building blocked the sun and I could see that I had done a fine job. Prior to that, I had to set the brakes and climb out onto my step in order to look and see where my trailer was going. Something about burning helium just doesn't sit well with my retinae (or retinas, depending on how you like it). And thus began day #278 in this glorious year.

My unloading was done quickly and, as anticipated, I was assigned to a new load within a few minutes. Also as anticipated, I only had to drive a few miles for my next pickup. I bounced over to the shipper for a quick and easy drop/hook and then hit the road for Pennsylvania with a nice and easy 8,000 pounds in tow. It seems like quite a while since I've had a light one, so tomorrow in the hills will probably seem like a pleasant change of pace.

Ohio is now on the EZPass network. Thus I had no reservations about hopping on I-80 in Illinois and taking it all the way across. Thus I had a pretty easy day of driving. The morning rush in the Chicago area had died down by the time I got moving and the traffic across Indiana and Ohio was moving freely as usual. My delivery is another drop/hook in Hazleton, Pennsylvania tomorrow afternoon, so Girard, Ohio seemed like a pretty good place to stop for the night. This leaves around 275 miles to finish the trip tomorrow and then we'll get on the board and see what else is in store. Good start to the week so far.

2 comments:

  1. Since Ophthalmology is what I do, I couldn't resist. It's Retinas, my dear.

    Anonymous in your home town

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps, to you, it's retinas. As for me, I'm fond of the classical languages as applied to modern English.

    retina n. pl. retinas or retinae

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.