Saturday, October 3, 2009

10/3/09

Okay, we'll continue the fall tradition of getting the Saturday post done early whenever it's feasible. You know how it goes for fans of Our Lady's university these days. By the time the game is over, I may not be in the mood to say anything.

I didn't hit any of that rain that seems to be in the forecast for this area today, so the drive was pretty simple and easy. As suggested by our friend John last night, there were no issues getting through St. Louis, aside from a Prime driver who was struggling a bit with the skinny lanes. I'm not sure exactly why they have ten undersized lanes through the suburbs there when eight normal lanes would do just fine. In any case though, I gave homeboy plenty of extra space while he barreled his way through the curves and everything was fine.

I was cruising up I-55 toward Springfield when I started scouting the motel billboards. It didn't take long. Motel 6 - Truck Parking - $39.99 - Exit 90... okay then, sign me up. The rate on the billboard is never the weekend rate, but at $45.99 for tonight I didn't get shafted nearly as badly as I have at some of the Corleone family's other estates.

A quick review of the particulars shows that this pay week will end with 2,692 miles, getting me over a thousand bucks for the second time in my two weeks back on the road. Steady as she goes here in Con-way Land, it would seem.

Everything is set up nicely for the weekend now - A short drive left for tomorrow, overnight parking at the consignee, Pizza Hut coupons on the desk, and a fantastic 17-inch color TV with basic cable and a remote control in front of me. What more could a fella want? Well, there is that one thing. A victory would be nice...

4 comments:

  1. The potato boys win again! That was exciting. However, I feel the need to nail this note to their door: Roll Tide!

    Repent, brother. Follow the true path of enlightenment to Tuscaloosa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The strange, narrow lanes through St. Louis on I44 are the result of the I64/40 reconstruction. It has been happening for a couple of years now. I didn't mention it, because I thought that I64/40 would be out of your way (and honestly I avoid that part of the area so it slips my mind most of the time :) ). They added an extra lane to the existing highway without widening the highway. So, narrow lanes, and very narrow shoulder. When they first changed the lanes, they repainted the lanes with water-soluable paint....and it rained! You can imagine the fun we had for a month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, typical government in action, I suppose. "Add" a lane, ostensibly to help carry the burden from I-64, and you'll be doing good for all mankind or whatever.

    I guess it never occurred to them that people wouldn't use all five lanes because the truckers can't keep it between the lines. So the road ends up carrying the same flow of traffic, just with more lines and no shoulder. I've never heard the soluble paint story though. That would be pretty sweet. Just like a Formula One track or something.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.