Monday, September 28, 2009

9/28/09

Put the women and children to bed. Clear the streets. Bar the doors. It's time for a good old American League showdown in Motown. My boys have a two game lead and the Twinkies are in town for four, starting tonight. Winner gets the right to lose to the Yankees in the first round. Loser gets mocked and ridiculed for all eternity. Bring it on.

My ten hour break in South Carolina took me to 11am this morning. In related news, I got rolling at 11am this morning. Go figure. Given the uncertainty surrounding my delivery in Alabama, I figured that I might as well get moving and show up as early as possible, then hope for the best. Before leaving the truck stop, I shot a message to Joplin and asked if there was any news from the customer service people.

I was anticipating the usual generic 'we're working on it' sort of response, but I got some useful information instead. I had been operating based on the dispatcher yesterday having given me an ETA of 6pm tonight (when the consignee would be closed, of course). My fleet manager sent me a message this morning saying that the customer had set my appointment for 2pm tomorrow. Good deal. In one sense this means that half my day tomorrow will be wasted while waiting for my appointment to come around, but my log book could use a bit of a breather anyway. I start picking up some decent hours over the next few days so I'll be in good shape once I get back on the board tomorrow afternoon. And then there's the part about actually having an appointment when I show up. That's always a plus.

I made it to Atlanta before the typical afternoon fustercluck had reached maximum capacity, so overall I have to say that the day was pretty solid. The long line of traffic in the construction zone between Atlanta and the Alabama line pretty much sucked, but you take the good with the bad in this business. I rolled into the old truck stop on the south side of Montgomery a little while ago and it looks like my internet connection is a good one. Bring on the baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.