Tuesday, September 8, 2009

9/8/09

Your don has had a beer (or twelve) and his Tigers blew a lead in the late innings tonight, so you'll be expected to forgive a rather short and uninsightful update to this here web log. I don't make the rules. We'll all just have to live with them.

It looked, rather briefly, as if I might make a few extra bucks before rolling into the Corleone family's main compound today. I received a planned load summary and load assignment this morning. So, good little soldier that I am, I rolled out of bed and checked my satellite unit. Picking up in [some town south of Columbus] and delivering in Taylor. Apologies for the spotty memory, of course. I was half asleep then and I'm, well, you know, half asleep now... or something. I wasn't quite sure how I would fit the run into my available hours, but I was gonna give it a shot. Then... what the Joplin gang giveth, the Joplin gang taketh away. Load unassigned. Go back to bed, slacker.

After a couple more hours I received the previously expected deadhead to the Taylor terminal. Day #8, 222 paid miles, fair enough. Homeward we go. I found along the way that, for some unknown reason, I was in absolutely no hurry to get home. It most certainly seemed like some time off was long overdue, but I found myself taking a break every now and then and generally dragging out the process. Eventually though, on to the yard and on to the fridge. My roomie was kind enough to see to it that the beer supply was ample. I was gracious enough to see to it that the beer supply was exhausted. Beauty.

Tomorrow... I don't know. I guess I should probably renew my driver's license. You know, I'm a professional driver and whatnot.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm still early by a few hours, but have a Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you. I'm older and wiser... or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange how my day off in OKC was spent with my good friend drinking beer and chowing down on Mexican eats and thick burgers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the simple pleasures that matter, at least as long as we're still allowed to pursue them. Beer and red meat are bad for the planet and so forth, you know.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.