Saturday, September 26, 2009

9/26/09

"Work is the curse of the working class."

I saw that saying on the t-shirts at a bar in Michigan last week. I found it amusing more than anything, but tonight I think we'll have to say that it fits. I was lounging around in Pennsylvania lamenting the fact that I had been on the board for almost 24 hours with no work. At least I had a fast wi-fi signal and I could keep watching football, I thought to myself. Then I got some work. At 4:30pm. Story of life. Good thing my Irish are on the Catholic Channel on XM this year, I guess.

My deadhead took me down through Pennsylvania and Maryland and into Virginia. I've rarely seen such bullshit traffic outside of Texas. If there are a lot of cars on the road, that's one thing. When there are not a lot of cars on the road and some cocksucker wants to tie up the center lane at 40mph, that's quite another. When it's raining... oh yeah, plenty of those bastards on the road tonight. Are trucks allowed to use the wide open left lane then? Well, of course not. That would just be crazy.

So the trip was a brutal fight from the time I hit I-495 to the time I left I-95. All's well that ends well though, as I made it to the shipper in West Point without committing vehicular manslaughter. I checked in and the fella told me that I would have to sweep out my trailer (in the dark, of course). Fair enough. Then he told me that I would have to pay ten bucks for a hard hat and safety glasses. Fair enough. My instructions for the load had mentioned this part so I made sure to have some cash on hand when I arrived. Then slide the axles back and go to the dock. Easy enough. Head inside and sign the log sheet. Okay, got that done.

What was that saying about the working class again? The forklift guy came over and told me that the trailer had a leak and that he couldn't load it. Well ain't that a bitch. The trailer looked good when I picked it up, but I guess after six hours in the rain you learn a little more, don't you? I hadn't noticed it while I was sweeping in the dark, but there was a little pinhole up near the top of the side wall. The load was rolls of paper, so obviously any water coming in would be a no-no. I called the dispatcher people to apprise them of the situation and they told me that they would have to unassign the load. Apparently there wasn't anywhere nearby that would have an empty trailer ready for me late at night on a Saturday. Go figure. (There is actually a Con-way terminal in Richmond that probably has empties, but it's not my place to argue. You know, working class and so forth.)

The next call was to the road service folks to see what they wanted me to do with the trailer. The T/A in Ashland was our closest option, so I write to you this evening from the T/A in Ashland. I did manage to get back in my truck in time to hear my Irish cap off a pretty dramatic win against those degenerates in West Lafayette. Say what you will about the stretch limo and the rest of it, but Jimmy Clausen is proving that he's every bit the stud that we were told he would be. With anything even resembling a mediocre defense, the lads would be formidable this year. As it stands I think we'll just have to keep hoping for the best.

The pay week is over now, regardless of whatever happens from here. With 2,675 miles and another $52 in northeast pay I suppose I've done fairly well overall. It's unfortunate that they paid me to drive all the way down here and pick up a load that I couldn't pick up, but it's just one of those things I guess. If it had been raining when I got this empty trailer, I may have noticed the pinhole sooner. You win some, you lose some.

Once homeboy here gets my trailer all fixed up, I guess I'll get back on the board and see what's what. My 14 hour clock didn't start until late in the afternoon, so I still have some time left. Good enough.

9 comments:

  1. Joe

    What am I going to do? Bad mouth Texas and call me a degenerate all in one post. You outdid yourself on that one. Keep the greasy side down and watch out for these pinheads or should I say pinholes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm pretty much a jerk. Invite me over for pizza and I'll eat the last slice. That's just how I roll.

    In my defense though, your Texan neighbors do like to drive slowly in the center and right lanes when I'm not allowed in the left lane. And I said degenerates in West Lafayette, present tense, not from West Lafayette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's OK Joe you do call them like you see them. Not from West Lafayette but that is the home of my Alma mater.

    We have already discussed my feeling about that Catholic school in South Bend...

    Guess I will just have to buy you your own pizza pie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's OK Joe you do call them like you see them. Not from West Lafayette but that is the home of my Alma mater.

    We have already discussed my feeling about that Catholic school in South Bend...

    Guess I will just have to buy you your own pizza pie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boilermakers can sneak up on you(unless you're catholic, it seems. Nice win), that's why I quit drinking years ago. These days I enjoy bacon and other pork products much more than alcohol. Roll Tide, Komrade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Irish version of the boilermaker is known as the car bomb. I was tricked into trying one at a pub in Manhattan one night several years ago. (Beautiful girlfriends can convince you to do terrible things.) Quite possibly the most revolting drink I've ever had. I enjoy Guinness. I enjoy Jameson. I don't enjoy Bailey's. Mix them up and... damn.

    For what it's worth, I would vote your goofy little Tide #1 right now if I had any say in the matter. There shouldn't be any rankings until about Week 7 as far as I'm concerned though.

    And Jerry, I'm a meat lover's kinda dude, so keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. $10.00 for that crap Joe? What next? First time I have heard of that scam. I remember picking up at Glidden paints in Huron, OH and having to wear a hard hat and glasses in the truck? Huh?

    Oh well.......that's.......well you know. Hang in there and be safe.

    Back to the igloo,

    Barzini

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got it Joe.....just come on done Satan's driveway and let me know you and you will have a nice pizza pie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to spend more time up there in the north country and eventually you'll see the glass half full more often. I'll get reimbursed for the ten bucks and now I have a hard hat and safety glasses. You know, in case I need to build something... or something. Everybody wins.

    These chuckleheads usually give me juuust enough time to get to Laredo, but I'll file this one away for reference in case a favorable timeline ever comes around. A break from that Godforsaken road is always a plus. Mmmm, pizza.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.