Sunday, June 28, 2009

6/28/09

Have you ever been to Urbana, Iowa? Now I have. Can't say that I'll be in a hurry to return. After an uneventful four hours on the road, I found that this was probably the last safe bet for parking along my route to Oelwein. So this is home for the night. The highlight of the day's entertainment was probably the saga of two big dogs running away from a couple of kids and then barrel-assing down the ramp to the interstate. You see a lot of carcasses on the highway in this part of the world, so it didn't look like that story would have a very happy ending. About fifteen minutes later though, one of the dogs returned. Ominous implications for the other dog then, right? They had stuck together the whole time, as nearly as I could tell from a distance. No worries. The second dog came trotting back ten minutes after the first one. And Michael Jackson is still the leading news story nationwide. Boring. Back to my collection of books then, I suppose.

I'll have to cover about thirty miles or so tomorrow morning by 9am to make my delivery. As of yet, I don't have anything else lined up afterward. Most runs originating in this part of the country are fairly long ones, so we'll hope for a good start to the week. I got a good deal yesterday on a hotel in Pittsburgh for the weekend of the Notre Dame game, but it had to be prepaid. I could use a decent week to overcome the momentary interruption in my cash flow.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe what's up.
    Joe I don't never hear you complain or bitch to much about your trucking career in general like you can on some of the other forums they'll tell how bad of a career choice this is etc etc.

    Is it just a personal thing with these guys or do you just work for a good company and does every company driver get (what seems to me like)decent miles like you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to guess that I've been a little more fortunate than some of the others in terms of miles and earnings, at least as far as starting out in this career. With the exception of the few months at the end of '08 and the beginning of '09, it seems that they've kept me rolling pretty well. I also had plenty of money in the bank to weather the rough spots when I first headed out on the road. That probably helps, although I do have my moments where I'm pissed at the world just like anyone does.

    I haven't figured out yet if this career simply attracts people with bad attitudes or if the job itself creates the bad attitudes. It seems that both are probably true to some extent. The lifestyle is far from convenient, so any negativity that people have will be multiplied once they've had plenty of time to sit alone and think about it. Staying away from other drivers is my preferred approach. Five minutes in a drivers' lounge will make you want to jump off a bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha,10/4 keep her between the ditches!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.