Friday, July 3, 2009

7/3/09

There's something inherently wrong with the notion that you can spend a whole day driving on a single interstate highway within a single state. It's probably time to partition Texas.

After getting through San Antonio, the remainder of today's route was just a whole lot of nothing. Hot sunny weather. Long desolate stretches of terrain. Boring.

When the day's bombshell came out of Alaska, I started to feel optimistic for a minute. Since we're in an age where married governors with national aspirations are finding 'soul mates,' I eagerly awaited a phone call. I could be the soul mate for Mrs. Palin... or something. No such luck though. Apparently she's just in the mood to piss away her political career. Not that I blame her. I wouldn't be able to keep my cool when dealing with those vipers every day.

I stopped for the night at the Love's in Van Horn, so it looks like I'll have somewhere around eight hours to drive tomorrow. It remains to be seen whether I'll go through Tuscon or whether I'll drop down the state route through the hills. This payload is around 30,000 pounds so it's probably a little on the heavy side to be dragging across the "not recommended for trucks" route. After another day on I-10 though, I don't know. I might be in the mood for a challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Joe how does CFI handle idling time?
    Do they stay on you pretty hard about it?
    I read on some of these forums that most companies allow 30% idling time,that don't seem like much if a man is sitting around on his 34 hr. reset or waiting on freight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If 30% means that they're limited to 3 hours of idling for every 7 hours of driving, that's pretty stupid. If you get stuck somewhere hot and you need to rest, there's not much choice in the matter. The truck has to run.

    I don't think my bosses get too worried about it unless your overall fuel mileage is really bad. I've never heard any complaints about my idling practices. I'm usually inclined to shut the truck off when possible, but it's been running damn near 24 hours a day for the last three weeks. Gotta get me out of the South.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.