Sunday, May 31, 2009

5/31/09

I need someone to answer for this one. On the following map you'll see Sandusky, Ohio. For those of us from the Great Lakes region, Sandusky is home to Cedar Point and some awesome roller coasters. For everyone else, it's the home of Callahan Auto Parts from Tommy Boy. Anyhow, I've circled Sandusky up there at the top of the map. You'll also see Upper Sandusky, where I stopped for fuel this afternoon. Now, I have an understanding of the meaning of the word 'upper' and this doesn't conform. I don't want to hear about rivers and all that nonsense either. If there is a city called Upper Sandusky, it needs to be above the city called Sandusky. This simply isn't right.


After staying up later than planned last night and sleeping later than planned this morning, I made my way westward across that confounding state. It was the kind of drive that I tend to enjoy most - a little bit of interstate driving and quite a bit of US highway driving, with smooth roads, good weather, and light traffic. As I crossed Indiana and approached Valparaiso, it occurred to me that I hadn't thought about where to stop for the night. US-30 is a fairly heavily traveled route so I had just assumed that I would find a truck stop somewhere around the Indiana/Illinois line and call it a day. I grabbed my directory to see what was around. It looked like Valparaiso would actually be my last shot unless I wanted to go quite a bit off route. I hung a right into the little Pilot in Valpo and found one open space. Nice. Trip planning at it's finest right there.

The process of getting my computer back to it's prior status has been coming along slowly but surely. In point of fact it's running quite a bit faster than it had been before the crash. Less clutter from old files and programs, I suppose. My connection speed seems to be pretty solid here so I guess it's time to kick back and watch some playoff hockey. Truckmiles.com says that it's 56 miles from here to New Lenox and the remaining stretch of US-30 gets pretty congested on weekdays. I imagine I'll allow for a couple of hours to my consignee. Then back on the board and hopefully homeward bound.

2 comments:

  1. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Upper Sandusky, Ohio

    Website http://www.uppersanduskyoh.com/


    Upper Sandusky is a city and the county seat of Wyandot County, Ohio, United States,[3] along the Sandusky River. The population was 6,533 at the 2000 census. The city takes its name from an earlier Wyandot Indian village of the same name, which was located nearby.[citation needed] Upper Sandusky is rich in history. The origins date back to the early 1780’s and was home to the Wyandotte Native Americans until 1842. Upper Sandusky became the Wyandot County seat in 1843 and is referred to as “Upper” by the local residents because it is located on the upper reaches of the Sandusky River. The city is currently governed by Mayor Scott Washburn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sure. Let's blame the Indians and the rivers again.

    The British established Fort Sandusky on Lake Erie (in the upper part of the territory) well after the village of Upper Sandusky already existed (in the lower part of the territory). Unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.