Friday, May 22, 2009

5/22/09

This rain situation isn't even funny anymore. From Clewiston to Riviera Beach and all the way over to Perry, nothing but rain. It did stop a little while ago so I guess we can hope for improving conditions moving forward.

My directions to this morning's consignee mentioned Gate A and Gate D. My paperwork mentioned Gate B. I had never seen Gate B before, but I was familiar with the other two. Gate D is where I typically pick up sugar so I decided to check with the guard at Gate A and see if I could get some further directions to my delivery point. She pointed me to a loading dock at the end of a skinny little road so I headed over and waited for someone to come outside. After a half hour or so, a guy came out and told me that I was supposed to go to Gate B. Yeah, no kidding, but where is Gate B? He showed me how to get there and then the security guard at that entrance had no idea where to send me. It got all worked out eventually and I was on my way to my next pickup.

I showed up a few hours early, expecting to be told that I would have to wait a while. Not at all. My trailer was loaded and ready when I got there. Beauty. Then it was back to the northwest again. I still refuse to pay cash tolls and I had no intention to go up I-95 (out of the way and slow). I'm not sure if my route was the best one or not, but I basically cut the most direct line that I could find through the middle of Florida. Whenever the traffic got heavy and slow, I adjusted my route and tried something different. What do you know? Every route was slow and tedious today. Damned rain.

I'm due at my consignee on Monday morning at 9am. The guy at the shipper this morning assured me that there would be people around when I show up. We'll see. Given my track record with holidays, I'm a little skeptical.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have a fast enough connection here in Perry to watch the hockey game tonight. I was unpleasantly surprised to see the screwjob that the Wings took on that perfectly clean and well-timed hit by Kronwall. It's probably time to do away with the sticks and skates when that gets you kicked out of a game. Just sit in a circle and discuss your feelings or something. I do have a hunch that the youngsters from Chicago have spent a good bit of their energy so far. 5-3 Wings should be about right, I think. (Yeah, I know that my predictions are always wrong, but at least after I jinx this game we can see them wrap it up at the Joe next week.)

2 comments:

  1. That would be nice GO Wings. Did you see Malkins goal? Last night High light reel for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the replay of that goal. It was definitely part luck and part skill, but I can't decide which was the bigger factor. Poor goalie though, either way. The puck isn't supposed to go into the top short side corner when a guy comes around in that direction.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.