Thursday, May 14, 2009

5/14/09

When every day brings a new town and a new highway, I suppose that it's inevitable to find oneself in an awkward spot every now and then. I hopped over to my shipper this morning and followed the signs to the shipping office. I found a locked door but I was a little early so I sat in my truck and waited for my scheduled time. A gentleman came out and told me to go to a different building. So I went to a different building. Yeah, I know, a regular renegade here. Once at the other building, I found an open door but nobody was inside. At my scheduled arrival time I went back in to see if anyone had arrived.

And here we come to the awkward part. The guy who had sent me away from the first building was some sort of boss man. He was inside the second building by this point in time, giving the employees a thorough ass chewing. I tried to stick by the door and keep to myself but, from what I did hear, they seem to have shipped four truckloads of stuff to the wrong stores this week. The cost to their employer was given as $10,000. Yikes. I think I'd get an updated resumé together in a hurry if I were on that staff.

Oh, but the awkwardness wasn't over. After the reaming was finished and the boss man left, it was time for a little pre-shift prayer. Now I won't even begin to be some sort of holy individual. Anybody who has seen a few postings on this blog would have to know as much. I do have my beliefs though and hanging around the fringes of someone else's morning prayer is more than a little weird. I also had a personal aversion to some of the content of the prayer but this would hardly be the place for that discussion. You follow your path and I'll follow mine, so to speak.

Enough with the awkwardness then. I was loaded fairly quickly and headed north. RV's were the dominant theme on I-95 today. I have no idea why but the damn things were everywhere. They did their best to snarl the traffic (successfully at times) but the overall volume was pretty light. I have until midnight tomorrow night to drop my trailer in Pennsylvania, so I really didn't have a specific agenda for today's drive. I figured that I would try to cover at least half the trip today and then take it from there. I saw the sign for the T/A in Kenly (with a Wendy's) and decided to stop for some dinner. Every now and then, you just need to eat a Baconator. Then we probably know what follows a hearty meal. Sloth. No more driving today then. A little more than half the trip will have to wait for tomorrow.

I'm hoping that my connection will be fast enough for me to watch Game 7 here. Something has to get the taste of this afternoon's baseball game out of my mouth. When I wake from a nap and hear the boys take a 5-0 lead and then they lose 6-5... Oh, my kingdom for a bullpen.

3 comments:

  1. Could have the RV's been heading to Charlotte for race week there? not sure exactly where you were.

    Yeah the stupids Tigers gave me a real red face today, but good ole Dan Cleary made me proud once again.

    mike3fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. well the wings pulled it out good game on the highlight reel. Daugther happy but missed the game due to softball. So I guess in this house its go wings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very well versed in the world of NASCAR, but if there is a race in Charlotte that could be the explanation. You would go up I-95 and then shoot over on I-26 and most of the RV's were below I-26, so you've probably answered that one for me.

    That breakaway goal by Helm was unreal. I can't remember the last time I saw someone just leave everybody in the dust like that when he started out even with them.

    Maybe it wouldn't have been the best game for children to watch anyway. Things got pretty chippy for a while and the "Bullshit! Bullshit!" chants were quite audible on the CBC feed each time the Wings got hosed on a call. The highlights should be enough to prove that your daughter has seen the light.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.