Wednesday, March 18, 2009

3/18/09

I'd like to start by thanking my engine brake for its many hours of hard work today. It was very helpful in my efforts to navigate the trip across Missouri. It seemed that there were an unusually high number of cars dragging ass in the right lane. Combined with the Speed Racers in the left lane, they made the drive seem a lot longer than it really was.

I was planning to park at the consignee tonight and I didn't want to arrive too early, so I left Kentucky around noon after hanging around and relaxing all morning. I also took the opportunity to stop along the way and have some scheduled preventive maintenance done. That killed another hour and a half or so. Then it was onward and westward to Kansas City. Off the highway, onto the customer's street. Son of a...

I found one of those damn locked gates. After walking about a mile back to the main road where I entered the industrial area, I really saw nothing useful in terms of parking. So, what to do, what to do? I could drag my trailer up to our Kansas City drop yard and then head back down here in the morning. The thought of this 45,000 pound load bouncing me through morning traffic up and down the hills sounds awfully unpleasant though.

Screw it. The consignee is located at the dead end of the street. I won't be in the way of any other businesses and somebody has to show up to open the gate sooner or later. Their website says that their shipping and receiving hours start at 7am. My appointment time is 7am. Good enough. I'm staying here and they can yell at me when they arrive if they have to.

2 comments:

  1. Good choice. As long as your not blocking any parking spaces. And if you are... They'll get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fella actually showed up and opened the gate and let me in before I went to bed. Then there were at least fifty employees' cars inside and the people were working. Captive labor maybe? Weird.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.