Monday, March 16, 2009

3/16/09

A return to normalcy, perhaps?  Well, I do have a trailer and it does have freight in it.  This will continue to be the case through tomorrow and Wednesday, at the very least.  That’s a start.

The wakeup call from the security chick came at 5:30am.  That’s always nice.  After hooking up to an empty, I got on the board at #8.  Damn.  Didn’t see that one coming.  Better look for a place to rest.  The quickest way to find a parking spot and go back to bed seemed to be heading to the T/A on I-10, west of Jacksonville, so that’s where I went.  Unlike last night, when I tossed and turned restlessly for five hours, I fell right asleep this morning.  Beauty.

It was only about an hour and a half later that I received my next assignment.  In all likelihood, it was going to be beer out of Jacksonville or paper out of Palatka.  It doesn’t seem that I pull anything else out of Florida anymore.  I got out of bed and took a look.  Paper from Palatka.  Okay then, back out to the road.

After my drop/hook at the paper mill, I encountered mostly light traffic during today’s drive.  Even though I think I can guess my axle weights within 500 pounds by looking at my suspension gauge, I stopped and used a CAT scale.  This 45,100 pound load is definitely on the heavier end of the spectrum for me.  I would have guessed that my drive axles and trailer axles were around 32,500 each.  They were 32,480 up front and 32,200 in the back.  Not bad.

I got through a couple of pretty strong soakers in Georgia before deciding to call it a day in Jackson.  I’m starting to feel a little tired again and there’s no point in adding the frustration of Atlanta to the mix.  Dodging all of the cars that panic whenever it rains was enough for one day.  I have a Thursday morning delivery in Kansas City.  Two decent days of driving from here will work just fine.

I heard audio clips on the radio from lots of people who are all flabbergasted about AIG employees getting bonus checks.  I suspect that most people are more jealous than angry.  I’m not jealous of those guys though.  I’m jealous of Dan Patrick.  Not only does he get paid to talk about sports for a living, he also gets to inform the rest of us poor suckers that the lovely Erin Andrews has a sister…

andrews

Dan, Dan, Dan.  You little devil.

4 comments:

  1. The human cat scale. Good call on the weights. Damn that Dan Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one too fast the first time around. I was trying to figure out what Dan Patrick had to do with cats and weights. I got it the second time.

    Is that not the biggest grin you've ever seen on that guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rey Rey might own the police, but it looks like Dan Patrick owns the Andrews sisters.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.