Tuesday, December 30, 2008

12/30/08

That afternoon drop didn't wind up hurting me after all. The consignee required me to wait in the break room while they unloaded my trailer. Once I was empty I headed out to the truck, expecting to check my directory for a nearby parking place. I had a message waiting with my next planned load information. Beauty.

A short hop down to Lebanon, Kentucky got me to the next shipper. I was loaded after an hour or so and then headed north to Amherst, Ohio. The consignee is a retail store so I caught some luck with that one. I didn't have time for a ten hour break in the middle of this trip. My delivery time is 8am tomorrow. Being able to pull in behind the store and park for the night works out nicely. I had plenty of hours to get here in today's shift, but finding somewhere to spend the night and then driving here in the morning would have made the 8am time undoable (is that a word?). Hopefully they'll take at least an hour or so to get me unloaded. Then I'll be legal to use the 5.5 hours that remain on my 70. Sounds like an easy day is in store for tomorrow.

It was another day of good weather and light traffic, so I guess things are right with the world. The last stretch took me along OH-89 and OH-58. That's one of those kickass rollercoaster two-lane routes. I'm glad I got through when I did though. People are saying that there's snow expected at some point tonight. That route would suck major ass in bad weather.

We're doing it piecemeal this week, but we're getting there. I'm at 895 miles so far. After tomorrow's five and a half hours, I start to pick up big chunks of time starting the next day. As long as we can keep tacking on a few hundred miles each day, the week should turn out A-OK. I think New Year's Day is a paid holiday too, so that should be a few more bucks added into the mix.

You know how there are things that you would rather not think about? Yeah, try getting this story in your e-mail and then realizing that you were born in September. Damn internet.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be able to log on and write something everyday. Thats good. What mobile internet service are you using. Do you have a dish set up in your truck. Do you have an APU or inverter??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Sprint Mobile Broadband internet service. It gives me solid connections in most parts of the country. Around big cities the speed is actually broadband. Out in the sticks it gets pretty slow.

    I had a dish when I first started but I could never get the damn thing to work. I'm not a big TV watcher anyway, so I took it and the TV out of my truck. I usually just get my football and baseball games through internet streams.

    No APU on this truck. I guess they're ordering the new ones with them, but this truck is a few years old. I just use one of those $20 inverters that plugs into the 12V socket. It powers my computer and charges my phone. I don't really use power for anything else. I'm a pretty simple kind of fella.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.