Tuesday, December 23, 2008

12/23/08

Up with the sun, it was time to call in to the terminal and have the dispatcher put me on the board. I saw the massive number of trucks parked there yesterday and wasn't sure what to expect for today. #2 when I got on the board though. Not too shabby. Most of those trucks probably belong to people headed home for Christmas. I hung around home, keeping an eye on the company's web portal to monitor my status. By 10:30am I was assigned to a load.

In good economic times and tough times economic times, there are a few constants. People will always have to buy diapers. People will always have to eat. And while they may not have to do so, people will always choose to drink beer. That's my payload for tonight. I have to head up to the beer warehouse in Howell and then make a 300 mile overnighter down to Indiana. I got plenty of notice on this one so I could take a nap before I get rolling. Beats the hell out of sitting around all day and then finding out that I'll be up all night. I'll have several hours of wiggle room on the way to Indiana for bad weather or another nap or whatever else may come up along the way. From some of the forecasts, it looks like I may need the extra time. We've definitely gotten plenty more snow in Michigan today.

So this afternoon was a leisurely one of lounging around and finding ways to blow money. I reserved a suite in Traverse City for my brother's wedding next June, so that should be pretty nice. I got a few things from the Notre Dame bookstore catalog. I ordered a few late Christmas gifts for people that I won't be seeing this month. Easy come, easy go.

My parents were meeting some of my aunts and uncles for dinner tonight, so I tagged along. What the hell, why not? It's back to the SubWay and beef jerky routine for the next month or so once I get rolling. Might as well have one more good meal. Now I'm off to Howell to get some beer (that I don't get to taste). I have to pick up by 11pm but these guys loaded me early the last time I drove out there. Here's hoping for a repeat. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. You home for Christmas? Merry Christmas...Hope you had a good year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in and out, so I'll be on the road for Christmas, but a good year is all I know how to have.

    Thanks for the kind wishes and Merry Christmas to you too.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.