Friday, July 4, 2008

7/4/08

Yes. Yes. Yes! The perfect storm. Actually, it wasn't much of a storm at all, but it was a little rainy and a lot cloudy. This kept the sun from heating up my truck and allowed me to sleep all morning long. Damn, I needed that.

I hung around the yard all day and waited for my relay to arrive. The other driver rolled in around 8pm, so I did get a little bit of a head start on my trip. I rolled up to the T/A in Seville (~120 miles), so I'll have a couple of easy days this weekend. As always on a holiday, the truck stop had plenty of parking for me and the traffic was really light. I'll bet that the cops in Ohio get double time on holidays though, because the freeway was crawling with them.

I received a message as I was rolling that has me a little perplexed. It says that I don't need a Vermont permit to deliver to my consignee, but that I should stay on the interstates as long as possible. What exactly does that mean? The customer is right off the interstate, so it's theoretically possible for me to take interstates all the way. Of course, this would add 200 miles to my trip. I'll drive it that way if I need to, but then they'll have to pay me accordingly. I took a look at some Vermont website last night and I thought my intended route was fine. Now I don't know. I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what I can find out. Saturday on a holiday weekend... probably not much.

I had a few snarky words ready to write today, for some of the folks who now find it fashionable to talk down our country every time they get a chance. That really would miss the point of today though, so I'm just going to wish everyone a happy Independence Day and wish the country that I love a happy birthday. I know that I wouldn't trade my life in this country for anything. I would hate to imagine a world in which the United States, imperfect as we may be, had never come to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.