Friday, July 25, 2008

7/25/08

Would it make me a bad person if I wished that Todd Jones would suffer a career-ending injury tonight when he gets home from the ballpark? If so, I'm willing to risk it. What a bum.

I got a good start to the day when my shipper was on the eastern edge of Louisville. I didn't really have to go into town at all, so the place was pretty easy to access. My appointment was for 1pm, I rolled in at noon, and I was back on the road at 4pm. That wasn't so cool.

Getting such a late start to the day puts me in a bit of an in-between kind of situation. I would like to have a chance, slim as it might be, at getting another load after I drop tomorrow. This means that I need to have some hours available. This means that I needed to knock out a good chunk of the trip tonight. This means that I would be wrapping up my drive fairly late at night. This means that I would be at the mercy of whatever parking may or may not be available. On a Friday night I wouldn't normally expect to have a problem finding parking, but I've been unpleasantly surprised a few times lately.

I headed east across Kentucky and into West Virginia. I thought that there was some kind of law requiring rain every time I drive through West Virginia, but not today. It was just a nice quiet evening. My load is also a nice one, weighing a cool 7,000 pounds. With the ridiculous number of climbs and descents, this route would push my patience to the limit if I had to pull a heavy load. When I got into Maryland, I stopped at the first little truck stop along the way to use the restroom and grab something to drink. They had a few parking spaces open so I decided to kick back for the night. It looks like I'll have about four hours left to drive tomorrow morning. Getting out of New Jersey on a Saturday afternoon is probably not extremely likely to happen, but I'm holding out hope. My miles for the week are at 2,116. Hopefully I can at least catch a decent deadhead somewhere to kick them up a little bit.

Do you think that this is still Rain Man's favorite airline?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.