Wednesday, July 23, 2008

7/23/08

Dude. I know some of you fine OTR drivers like to run all day, every day. My hat's off to you. After seven or eight hours, my interest wanes quite rapidly. I had eleven hours left on my 70 at the start of today, so I put in a full day on the road. I guess it ain't so bad once in a while, but there's no way I would want to drive that much every day.

The most efficient route, according to the software that figures out these things, would have taken me east to Nashville and then up I-65 into Kentucky. By the time I got to Memphis and realized that I would be hitting Nashville during rush hour, I didn't have the stomach for it. That stretch of I-40 into I-65 and then north... no. I hung a left on US-51 and went up that way. There are quite a few towns along the first stretch out of Memphis, but otherwise that's not a bad ride. It's one of those routes that is supposedly going to be an interstate in the future, so quite a bit of the road is wide open. The Kentucky portion of the drive definitely brought the payoff. The parkways in this state are some of the best freeways in the country as far as I'm concerned. It always surprises me how light the traffic is whenever I drive on them.

I got to my fuel stop in Morton's Gap just before my hours ran out, so I guess that works out pretty well. It looks like I'll have a little over three hours to go from here to Lexington. My appointment time is 8am, but the directions to the consignee have me thinking that I'll try to get there a little earlier. They say that the turns are tight and it's a good idea not to arrive while there's traffic around. I don't know if there's parking available, but Google Earth seems to indicate that I should be able to find a place to sit for a while. It looks like a pretty big place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.