Saturday, May 10, 2008

5/10/08

Hail stones hitting the roof of a truck - loud. As in really loud. I thought I was under attack or something when that storm woke me up last night. Then, three minutes later, it was gone.

Today's plan was to cover 500 miles and then find a place to watch the hockey game. The weather report on the radio had me thinking that I was heading for some severe weather. I caught a couple of rainy spots once I got southwest of Atlanta, but nothing I would call severe. The spots where it wasn't raining had clean and dry roads, so I'm thinking I must have skirted the edge of the storm. Groovy.

There were three different traffic jams today, each caused solely by gawkers. At no point were any of the freeway lanes affected by anything. Yet all three times traffic came to a dead stop. Times like that, sitting stationary in the middle of the freeway, are about the only times that I wish I had a CB. So, after all that nonsense, I was standing there at a Pilot and taking a piss when I saw that they have the Cobra 29LTD on sale for $69.99. I had enough Pilot points to get it for free, so I caved in and got a new CB. I went to throw my cheap old antennas on and see how the SWR matches up, then noticed that the mounting connector on the right mirror mount is broken. With only the left one installed, I can hear what's going on in my immediate area. Sending is another story. The calibration thing doesn't go where it's supposed to go, and I don't plan on breaking another CB just yet, so I'll have to get to a shop sooner or later before I can use it to communicate. Good enough.

The 500 mile part worked well enough, bringing me to Shorter, Alabama. Watching the hockey game might be another story. My internet connection here is somewhere between slow and pathetic, so I won't be getting the game on my computer. I guess I'll take a walk and see if there's a sports bar or something around. It's pretty damn rustic around here so I doubt it.

So that wraps up another pay week. With 3,588 miles and around $65 extra in northeast pay, I am content. That balances out last week, with it's wimpy 2000 miles, so this month is right back on pace. Tomorrow I'll shoot for somewhere around the Louisiana/Texas line, then head to Laredo on Monday. Taking my usual US-59 route will save me some miles so, as always when it comes to Laredo, I'll get paid for a little more than I actually drive. I guess that makes up for the short miles on the run out of New York. I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.