Wednesday, April 9, 2008

4/9/08

Man, I could taste it. The millions of tiny bubbles bursting on my taste buds. The cool, creamy goodness washing down all my troubles. I could literally taste it. Alas, that first pint of Guinness will have to wait a day or two. It turns out that there is freight in the midwest this week after all.

I ran down to Monee, made my drop/hook, ran to Lafayette, made my drop/hook, and got my planned dispatch to Taylor. The folks at Wabash even told me to take a trailer that was in the CTL computer system this time around. No guessing games. By the time I got to the edge of Lafayette and started to head up to IN-25, I got a message saying I shouldn't head for Taylor. Then my fleet manager called and asked if I could cover a load. I don't ask a lot of questions, so I don't really know, but I got the impression that something unforeseen had just come up. Maybe someone broke down or something. I think "can you cover a load?" was one of those questions where there is really only one acceptable answer, but I would have said yes either way. I requested home time yesterday with the intention of getting there by the weekend, so I am happy to grab a couple hundred more dollars before then.

I was dispatched up to South Bend to stage for a ConWay load leaving tomorrow morning. I'll take it across Indiana and Ohio, then pass it off to someone headed for Massachusetts. From there, who knows? I was all set to go home today, but I only requested time off yesterday, so they don't necessarily have to send me home tomorrow. I suppose I'll find out soon enough. Paul at Dohickey's Pub will just have to keep that Guinness keg cold for me in the meantime.

My last four dispatches look pretty funny... 67 miles, 61, 109, 112. Knockin' em dead this week!

2 comments:

  1. ya that was my load u grabbed, i was sitting in the kenworth dealer at kenworth, i was pissed too, cuz i live in mass, my FM wanted me to swing into the house and say hi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your luck with the truck. If it's any consolation (which I'm sure it's not), it saved me from getting about a hundred dollar paycheck this week. Since the run to Lafayette, I've had 112, 311, 169, 432, 146, and 195. Not a huge week, but it beats the hell out of a 262 mile drive home for free.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.