Saturday, February 2, 2008

2/2/08

I'm not the jealous type of person for the most part, but they were playing golf in Mississippi today. That made me jealous.

The drive was a pretty easy affair, across Louisiana and angling up through Mississippi into Alabama. I had enough hours to go further, but it was a pretty good day so I stopped while I was ahead. Back when I was a somewhat civilized and classy individual, I learned to enjoy a good cigar. Part of enjoying it is knowing when to let it go. You hang on too long and you end up with overheated smoke that tastes like ass. Days out here can be like that too. Know when to say when.

So I have a few hundred miles to drive tomorrow ahead of my Monday morning drop. So far the truck is doing pretty well. On quite a few hills it went all the way over with no problem. A few other hills caused it to sputter pretty badly, but it still seems to hold its speed fairly well. My computer says I got 7mpg today so I guess whatever the issues is, it must be tolerable. I am just glad there's only 7,000 pounds in the box. If I actually needed all kinds of horsepower to pull the hills, we might have some problems. Things will get a hell of a lot steeper by the end of tomorrow's drive, so I'm preparing for a rough ride. Hopefully the load coming back south will be a light one too. We'll see...

So I got a few messages from wise gamblers asking about the Super Bowl. They're wise because they know that they should bet against whatever I think will happen tomorrow. The only catch fellas (and I'm sorry to break it to you) is that I was over .500 on the NFL this year. I wasn't real good, but I wasn't real bad either. So I can't be counted on to back the wrong team like I always do with college football. Be that as it may, I've seen the line as low as -12. I would be all over New England at that mark. The AFC was -16 before the playoffs, and that was back when there were good NFC teams (Dallas, Green Bay) in the pool. I think the New York population has bought this thing down way below where it should be. So, the rule now is that New York probably wins outright, but like I said it's not as sure a thing as college football. Sometimes I get the NFL right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.