Sunday, February 24, 2008

2/24/08

That Espar bunk heater is a hell of a gadget. I woke up this morning in my underwear (for your own sake, don't try to picture that) and I would have thought it was eighty degrees outside. When I turned on the truck, it was seventeen degrees. My old truck would have been idling away all night long. I had no idea how awesome those heaters really are. The fact that any company runs trucks without them is bordering on institutional negligence. In the short time that I've had this truck, the bunk heater has saved me at least sixty hours of idling. Do whatever math and use whatever assumptions you want to use. The heater would have to pay for itself pretty quickly.

Another pretty decent day of work today. I wouldn't say that the traffic was light, but it was reasonable. Given the route, I don't think light traffic could ever exist. I usually run over the GWB and up I-95, but today I decided to try I-287. I don't know. People say the loop is easier, but it didn't seem that way to me. I think I prefer just going through the Bronx.

I got into Connecticut tonight, so I'll have around a hundred miles left tomorrow morning. Not too bad as far as that goes. I checked Google Earth and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to enjoy tomorrow morning much. My destination is a Courtyard by Marriott. That much I knew when I picked up the load. What I didn't know was that it's right in the middle of freaking Providence, on a busy street. I called the hotel tonight to see if they had any idea where I need to park in the morning. The dipshit told me I would have to try the Hilton if I needed to park a truck. I'll call back tomorrow and try to get the general manager on the phone.

I won't have a ton of hours available when I get empty tomorrow, but I'll hope at least to get out of New England.

2 comments:

  1. How does the bunk heater work? does it set to a thermostat. Any problems with starting the truck the next morning when it is time to go. Not at all familiar with theese. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bunk heater has a knob that I assume is supposed to act as a thermostat. I've tried it at a range of settings, and 'crazy hot' is about the only temperature I get. It heats up the whole truck, no matter how cold it is outside. No blankets, no nothing. It gets hot.

    So far, I've used the heater on more nights than I haven't. The truck always starts in the morning. I've heard the little battery rundown beep once or twice, but it preserves enough juice to start the truck. The only time (in my old truck) that the battery died would be when I took a week off at home in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.