Wednesday, November 7, 2007

11/7/07

Today was actually much easier than expected. If only I weren't a miserable prick right now, I probably would have enjoyed it. Light traffic in Virginia, virtually no traffic on the Capital Beltway... Hang on a second, let me make sure that was right. Yep, that's right - virtually no traffic on the Capital Beltway. In fact, my last several trips around D.C. have been that way. No backups at the toll booths. I made it from Dunn, North Carolina to Carney's Point, New Jersey in seven hours. Truckmiles.com estimated the drive at seven hours, forty-five minutes so I guess I did okay.

There were plenty of clueless people on the roads, as always, but I only recall one major asshole along the way. Coming out of the tolls north of Baltimore, I was in the second lane from the right. The guy on the far right pulled a little ahead, so I had to slow down to let him over. Then a car passed me up from the left and I started to merge into the regular lanes behind the car. Who sped up on the left and cut me off, almost taking my fender with him? Another CFI driver. But we're a cut above, right? Yeah, fuck you too buddy. We're just as big a collection of dickheads as any other company. We just like to kid ourselves I guess.

It looks like I'm around two and a half hours from my drop right now, so I'll take off after midnight and get up there. With the lighter traffic at that time, I imagine it will probably be closer to two hours, but I have until 4am so I'll be fine either way. Then I'll put in my request to go home and hope for the best while expecting the worst. From the northeast, the odds are pretty good I'll be home in a day or two. In a perfect world I could work until next Tuesday and try to salvage a respectable paycheck, but we don't live in a perfect world, do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.